Any reasons not to cycle in this rain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
+1 on potholes. In heavy rain, every pothole is at the bottom of a puddle, so I assume every puddle has a pothole at the bottom of it.

Also, watch out for pedestrians who pull their hoods down low and then run across the road: with the lowered visibility, and slower braking it's an accident waiting to happen.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
your common sense will get you through.

widen bends
avoid drain covers
avoid paint

Be aware that drivers will have issues with rear vis and motorcyclists with all vis.

Take your time, enjoy and don't worry about getting wet. luckily we are waterproof, Just keep warm

(I like to keep my feet dry with overshoes but that's about it really)

Davidc

Guru
I didn't take a bike out today. Heavy rain for 8 hours, and now it's blowing hard.

Nothing to do with safety, and in answer to the OP title - it's just plain unpleasant.

I really am getting fed up and depressed with this weather.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
As others have said be aware of puddles they may be deeper than you think - I reported a drain with a missing cover yesterday. Today I noticed some were full, though not the one I reported. The cover had been sort of replaced but with a 1" lip sticking up.

The other things I don't like are cars going through wet puddles at speed and giving you a free shower, and mini-roundabouts. I find the white paint is very slippery in the rain and to be avoided especially when turning right.

Cycle through puddles, lift your feet up and go weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or keep your feet down and go weeeeeeeeee!!!!

(not my piccie, came from here

recumbent%2Btrike%2B-%2Bin%2Bwater.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
Depending on what you have on your feet and cranks, you may find your feet slip (wet shoes, wet pedals)...if clipless you'll probably just get wet feet

I do not choose to cycle in the rain, I wear glasses and end up not being able to see anything...oh and it's cold...and errr wet and can be very sweaty

Also need to watch out for the motons who think it's fun to soak cyclists by speeding up through big puddles :evil:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I think decisions should be made on distance and also road conditions for the commute. There appears to be a lot of hardcore experts posting on here but when it is absolutely chucking it down I think visibility first and foremost. There are no prizes handed out at the end whether you cycle or not?

Top Bottom