Any reasons not to cycle in this rain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Cycle through puddles, lift your feet up and go weeeeeeeeglub,glub,glub,glub!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ftfy.:smile:

Nocode

..I wear glasses and end up not being able to see anything...

Yeah me too. Anyone worked out a good way to counter-act this? (and don't say not cycling or wearing glasses!) :smile:

Last night was my first real wet commute home, I wear glasses and couldn't see a bloody thing through them. Luckily I'm not too short-sighted (about -2 in both eyes) so could peer over the top of my glasses, but it was quite difficult and I had to have my spidey-senses working overdrive.

Perhaps contacts and cycling glasses is the way to go? Although the thought of putting contacts in my eyes makes me whince! :blink:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Not having my own car makes the decision a bit of a moot point.
we have one car but wifey uses that so if its terrible weather then its the train, if public transport is not an option for you then............ do you just have to grin and bear it even if is a hurricane???? Seriously do some of you hardcore not have a plan B or even C?? :smile: I have to have another option as the Forth Road Bridge closes in high winds which means I do not get over and I consider myself hardcore having done approx 2.5k miles this year just commuting.

tadpole

I wear a baseball cap under my helmet, and that keeps 95% of the rain off my glasses, still get a bit of road water flicked up.

akb

Veteran
Yeah me too. Anyone worked out a good way to counter-act this?

If you wear a helmet, then the visor is always good to keep out rain from your eyes. I also brought some cycling glasses with interchangable lenses and use the clear ones when it rains. You will need to wipe them every so often to clear them if it is raining; id rather do that then get rain in my eyes doing 20+mph.

OP
OP
dodd82

dodd82

Hi all

Thanks for the concern - made it home just fine! I actually found the wind more of a hazard than the rain - at least I think that's what was causing me to find it hard.

Still, it was quite liberating in a way, and now it's done I am over any fears of riding in bad weather.

Had to drive in today as need to be home earlier than usual... despite my legs being a little tired I'm rather disappointed. Big ride tomorrow to make up for it :smile:

Nocode

If you wear a helmet, then the visor is always good to keep out rain from your eyes. I also brought some cycling glasses with interchangable lenses and use the clear ones when it rains. You will need to wipe them every so often to clear them if it is raining; id rather do that then get rain in my eyes doing 20+mph.

Yeah, I got a visor on my helmet but it just didn't seem to do the trick last night in the heavy rain. A baseball cap may add some extra reach, but I do wonder if contact lenses and cycling glasses are the only real way? I'm also finding that my glasses are getting more scratched since I've been cycling. Oh, and my nosepads have a nice green tinge to them - but I think that's the running more than the cycling!

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
we have one car but wifey uses that so if its terrible weather then its the train, if public transport is not an option for you then............ do you just have to grin and bear it even if is a hurricane???? Seriously do some of you hardcore not have a plan B or even C?? :smile: I have to have another option as the Forth Road Bridge closes in high winds which means I do not get over and I consider myself hardcore having done approx 2.5k miles this year just commuting.

My wife has the car for carting about the wee one. My commute is only three miles so I can battle through almost any weather, but if it's utterly terrible weather I borrow my neighbour's van.

akb

Veteran
Yeah, I got a visor on my helmet but it just didn't seem to do the trick last night in the heavy rain. A baseball cap may add some extra reach, but I do wonder if contact lenses and cycling glasses are the only real way? I'm also finding that my glasses are getting more scratched since I've been cycling. Oh, and my nosepads have a nice green tinge to them - but I think that's the running more than the cycling!

I think that cycling/ glasses are specifically designed to be pretty tough and prevent scratches. I have had my glasses now for about 2 years and they are still in very good nick. I belive prescription glasses dont offer the same levels of protection.

tadpole

I paid an extra £30 when I got my glasses to have an anti scratch coating. It's worth it as my glasses are three years old, and only now are they getting scratches. I never wipe my glasses when cycling. I look up and into the rain so they get "washed" by heavy rain. and when I get home I rinse them under flowing water, so any grit or dirt that could scratch them is dislodged and suspended in the rinsing water, rather than dragged across the lens when wiping. ( washed in water and dried on a soft clean glass cloth afterwards)

Top Bottom