Any recommendations for Mountain Bike small budget

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gmw492

Veteran

Cycleops

Legendary Member

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Only after one for a spin through the local woods bit of off roading hence why I don’t want to spend huge

All you need for a ride in the woods is a solid frame basic MTB, and you could easily pick up a perfectly suitable one secondhand for £50 or less on one of those online auction sites. You don't need disc brakes either.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
One reason I think there is so much bargain-priced secondhand stuff about, is that a lot of newbies get carried away and spend significant amounts on brand new bikes in a big burst of enthusiasm that often doesn't last. They soon give up using their bikes and they get shoved in the garden shed and forgotten. After a few years, they come to light during a clear out and then get sold off, having covered very little mileage, for a fraction of what they cost originally. By that time, the original purchase price is mentally written of as "water under the bridge" and the seller doesn't feel the same pain they would have done if they'd sold the bike after only 3 months. Bicycles, particularly MTB's, must be one the most frequently bought, but then rarely used, objects owned by most households. One of mine, which is 23 years old, came to me with these funny conical plastic protectors still fitted over the wheel nuts. I'm sure they were sent out to the dealers from the Factory like that!

Levo-Lon

Guru
The other reason many are for sale is there stolen in large volume.
So try not to help line the pocket of a thieving C#%T when you buy off gumtree or ebay

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The other reason many are for sale is there stolen in large volume.
So try not to help line the pocket of a thieving C#%T when you buy off gumtree or ebay

Good point, although I think this is much more a problem with expensive stuff, not sub-£50 bikes from the 1990's. I'd want to see some paperwork if paying in the hundreds rather than tens of pounds. I'm happy enough that none of mine are bent, and I do have the dealer receipt for one, got it from original owner still living at same address.

U

User32269

I've got a Specialized Crosstrail and would thoroughly recommend them. They are classed as a hybrid, but given the huge tyre clearance, hydraulic discs, and firm front suspension, mine is excellent for most off road riding. The added bonus is that it is good to ride on the tarmac as well. New start at under £550, but can be picked up very reasonably second hand. It's a very versatile machine.

I also use a 90's rigid mtb that cost me the grand sum of £5, and it can be ridden almost anywhere. It's cheep to maintain and I don't worry too much if I have to leave it locked somewhere.

Both are good fun to ride on or off road, can be fitted with racks for commuting or touring.

Top Bottom