Any Runners On Here??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thefollen

Veteran
:ohmy: Err, ain't it a tad chilly them times? Mind you, I'm a wuss when it comes to the cold so distances up to 10k is probably my limit til the warm weather arrives.

It certainly can be!

Hell in the Middle fell on a ridiculous cold snap last year and was about -6c on the day. At around mile 8 (it's about 10/11 miles in total) you get the 'bog of doom' which is a 15 or so metre long waterfilled pit. It's around lower chest deep and due the freezing weather had 2inch thick ice floating in it- had to push it out the way! Took another half mile for the legs to thaw and feeling to come back into them. Ironically, the ice breaker (also the following week last year) boasted comparatively tropical temperatures of around 4c on the day.

Cycling to the Common last night, chatted with a motorcyclist at the lights who couldn't believe I was only in cycling shorts and a sleeveless top. Explained that if you keep up a high level of movement, your core temperature will be fine, you just need to cover the extremities :-D

This said, I'm certainly with you on a preference for warm weather!

wanda2010

Guru
@ thefollen said "This said, I'm certainly with you on a preference for warm weather" Given your post above, are you sure about that? :whistle:

I remember Feb last year had snow cos it's my birth month and my friends and I went partying. Hadn't done the Newcastle look in many a year and I won't be doing that again :ohmy: as my body is well past the 'exposure to cold' date :laugh:. Once upon a time I thought about joining some of my club runners who were doing the Hell Down South, but when they mentioned water coming up to their chest, I had to think again as that's more than enough to drown me :laugh:. Below freezing = bike only for commuting/shopping/short trips.

naminder

I love a bit of running- well, anything physical really.

In Feb I have Hell in the Middle one week and Mudrunner Icebreaker the following week. (Icebreaker = 10k extreme cross country mud/trail run + 20k mountain bike course + a nice 3k run to finish you off).

Anyone else doing these?[/quote

Erm ,let me think about for a second..............No

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I'm feeling particularly slow at the moment, just ran a 5k in 29 mins, having run it in 26mins a couple of weeks ago. I think I have a tendency to bounce more than push forward as my legs get tired like im not using hamstrings enough if that makes sense. I come back knackered but when I run with my friends for the same effort level I seem to sustain a considerably faster pace, I think its almost all down to good form/efficiency.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Forgot that Wednesdays run went well. No real issues to report except my mate who can cycle,but isn't a great runner :biggrin:
Only a 4k route but could have been minutes faster without slowpoke. Loving the 115avg HR though :boxing:

Monday 31st December brings the 'Auld Lang Syne' fell-race
Penistone Hill Country Park
Haworth
O/S SE025364

£5.00 (entries in advance only!)
6 miles/900 feet of ascent 'BM rated'

However, I doubt I'll be going in fancy dress to it, evevn though quite a few entrants do

It's the odd-one-out for Eileen & Dave, as it's purely entries in advance only (& a limit of 400)

'ALS' does attract the big names though (2011 race)
DSC_6901.JPG

Aly Raw (ex British Fell-Running Champion)
_SB_2394.jpg

And......from Wakefield Triathlon Club (2 are also Ackworth members)
_SB_2686.jpg

Jann Smith ~ green Mrs Claus (Ilkley Harriers)
6608092307_3c7b7d6087.jpg

And, I've got an entry!!:hyper:

The entry list for 'Auld Lang Syne' race is now online
It was posted @ 19:30, there's already 375 entries (400 limit)

http://woodentops.org.uk/assets/misc/ALS%202012%20start%20list.pdf

We have an 'away-team' of;
34 - Vicky Nicolson
126 - Patricia Wood
129 - Emma Smith
130 - Craig Tipton
169 - 'me'

Link here, includes video clip from 2010 - look who's the first two to the stream
http://woodentops.org.uk/index.php?topic=als&subtopic=home

I've also noticed a few more names that I know

41 - John Mason (Wakefield Harriers, & dad of Annabel, one of the best junior fell-runners in the country)
96 - Patrick (Paddy) O'Connor (Wakefield Harriers; one of our Consultant Anaesthetists)
97 - Matthew O'Connor (Wakefield Harriers; Paddys son, & the winner of the NewMillerDam 10K)

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Beasted the hell runner today in my morph suit, turned up and was 10 mins late of the gun time, from over 2000 people, i overtook over 1500 people on a single track, I had to run through deeper mud and bushes and swim through the bogs to overtake. was absolutely crazy!

Actually managed to get to the local Park-Run this morning, for the first time since its first month!
It's on the 'winter course' now (avoiding the circumnavgation of the pond, & possibly icy paths surrounding it)

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/pontefract/course

Decided, despite the 3 degree temperature to run in shorts/short sleeve t-shirt:wacko: (& Inov-8 Roc-Lite 315's, due to the wet/muddy conditions)

My 'off the mark' speed is still down by a long way!, as I had to pass people for the first mile.

Managed to surprise myself by getting a PB, & a reasonable placing; 19th/131 @ 21:10

Then, ran to work & back this afternoon, for a 13:00 - 21:00 shift too (9miles in total)

naminder

Beasted the hell runner today in my morph suit, turned up and was 10 mins late of the gun time, from over 2000 people, i overtook over 1500 people on a single track, I had to run through deeper mud and bushes and swim through the bogs to overtake. was absolutely crazy!
There are women out there who would pay good money to be covered in mud like that,

Top Bottom