Any Runners On Here??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pottsy

Just entered The Richmond Park Marathon on May 5th 2013. I did the same race this year and it was a great run.

Now the weather is even worse it gives me something to train for.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I haven't got a race coming up that I'm training for. I haven't run longer distances for a few months and have been trying to build up stamina again. Despite a rest day yesterday, I still ache so much, so I will stick to shorter runs for a little while longer.
Noooooooo! Run another 6 miler in a few days, it'll be much easier and won't hurt half as much afterwards. Your body/leg muscles will have adapted while they were aching. :smile:

Theres the movember 10k and Up and Running 10k a few weeks later, then i think nothing until about March. :dry:

Think my next race will be 'Barnsley 10K' on 24th November, as (extremely annoyingly) it doesn't look like I'll be able to get to the 'Harriers v Cyclists' on Saturday 10th November
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/harriers-verses-cyclists.111738/

Mindst you, Barnsley's a bit of a bugger, there's a heck of a hill at about the 3/4 mile mark, after the start in Royston
http://www.barnsleyac.co.uk/index.html
http://www.runningfreeonline.com/Maps/3949

Then the local 'XC' season starts the week after, with 'our' race being the first of the series on Sunday 24th
http://www.pecoxc.co.uk/index.html

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Would you be a harrier or a cyclist? :smile:

I went out for a 10k at lunchtime with my neck/shoulder still twinging, it was so horribly windy and cold - i got to the point my 6k route and 10k route split and took the easy 6k option and headed home to go out on my bike instead :whistle: strangely my shoulder feels almost fixed since the run. Running into 20mph wind seriously slowed my pace, I really need to get putting more miles in.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
First run in 20 years today - 2 miles in 20 minutes.

Despite being pretty fit as a rider, it felt like I was beginning again :eek: . This route will stay until I can do it without stopping and in a much faster time, after which I'll look at the Parkrun 5k route.

naminder

Noooooooo! Run another 6 miler in a few days, it'll be much easier and won't hurt half as much afterwards. Your body/leg muscles will have adapted while they were aching. :smile:

Thanks for kicking me into touch^_^ I managed 4 miles reasonably well this am, but the last circuit seemed to finish me off. Still, 6 miles, practically crawling the last 2, is still 6 miles :smile:
You still managed 6K, despite the back and that awful wind yesterday :boxing:

naminder

Think my next race will be 'Barnsley 10K' on 24th November, as (extremely annoyingly) it doesn't look like I'll be able to get to the 'Harriers v Cyclists' on Saturday 10th November

You really wanted to go to this, do you have another commitment on that day?

Stu Smith

Veteran
How people run Marathons is beyond me ... the boredom ....[/quote]

The long training runs can get quite boring, but I've never got bored running the actual marathons

wanda2010

Guru
Unless I've got selective memory, for the most part I enjoyed my marathon training because there were milestones along the way: running within the pace set for that session; running the distance; swinging the arms; running up the hill without stopping etc. Always to music though. I would have been bored without the music, especially if was raining or too cold. It give something to focus on if things were a little tough.

Stu Smith

Veteran
Unless I've got selective memory, for the most part I enjoyed my marathon training because there were milestones along the way: running within the pace set for that session; running the distance; swinging the arms; running up the hill without stopping etc. Always to music though. I would have been bored without the music, especially if was raining or too cold. It give something to focus on if things were a little tough.
Know excactly what you mean about the milestones, but they do seem to be less of a milestone after time..

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I don't really get bored running and don't listen to music, it's more the commitment of having to put in so many miles. I've only run one HM in a race, but that distance or more about 5 times in total... the race went so quickly (even at 2 hours!) that I didnt feel like id run anywhere near that far. For marathon training I feel like I'd be signing up for running a half marathon and then some, every weekend for several weeks to build the distance :ohmy:

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Well I finished the Great South Run. Had to slow down to manage the pain from my hip but really pleased I got round without stopping or walking!

Little disappointed that I couldn't do the time I wanted to, but you can't have it all I suppose :-)

wanda2010

Guru
Well done JoeyB. There is always another occasion for a better time. Be sure to baby that hip to full recovery before attempting another run :thumbsup:

Top Bottom