Any Runners On Here??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Started an Endomondo training an that aims to make me faster (I feel like I had plateau'ed a bit, and don't want to lose interest). Seems to be long slow run, interval run, and then either a shortish slow run, or a short, but quick interval run. Fun so far, but I seem to be hopeless at estimating my speed for the intervals!

I've also picked up a pair of trail shoes, with the intention of going off road again next time I'm in the lakes.

Trunce #6 this evening

No official results yet, but possibly a series PB (managed to make it to 5, out of the 6)
This year, sees the 50th anniversary of the race
To commemorate it, Andy, the present organiser, is going to look at the seasons results to see who's run 5 this season (for simplicity/to tie in with the 40th, when it was 4 out of 9), & get t-shirts printed
With maybe a size query, at the next race, or messages via FaceBook/email?
I've seen the 40th shirts, & they're quite good

Photos, mainly taken on the 'back' & at the finish
Sadly, I'm in there (page 2)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mossienetphotography/albums/72157682988030364

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I've lost my running mojo over the last year or so, but I have at least continued to attend parkrun regularly - although my times have been pretty shocking.

However, I switched my home parkrun lately - Whitstable is getting too busy for my liking (I think it has outgrown its venue) so I've started going to Canterbury regularly. It's a tougher course than Whitstable, with a little valley that you have to negotiate in both directions, twice, but I like it.

Anyway, the change has seemed to spark a bit of life into my running and in the five weeks I've been going to Canterbury regularly, my time has improved every week - this week, by 89 seconds on last week's time. I'm very pleased with this.

Screen Shot 2017-07-08 at 18.14.01.png

I'm still a lot slower than my course PB of 21:20, which I set on the very first Canterbury Parkrun, back in March 2014, but this gives me hope that my improvements are a genuine trend, not just a blip. This could be just the motivation I need to make running a more regular part of my daily routine again.

My fastest time on any course this year is 25:33. Next target is to get under 25mins on Canterbury course. (Which also happens to be my target time for the club 10 TT, funnily enough.)

I'd love to get back to my 2013/14 levels of fitness, and I know there's only one way I'm going to do that...

flatflr

Guru
Weekly update from me (all trail runs). Starting the taper for the marathon reducing miles and slowing the pace down, except for my regular Wednesday faster run:smile:

Tuesday 6.5 miles 8:15/m
Wednesday 4.5 miles 8:03/m
Thursday 8 miles 8:44/m
Sunday 13.1 miles 8:40/m

Feeling good with the endurance but hating the taper and even managing to cope with the heat ok. Will be glad to be able to get back on the bike and put in some nice relaxed rides when it's done.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
You are all so much faster than me ! Working on it though and long term goals etc . Anyway been away stuffing my face and drinking to excess on a Cruise round the med ^_^ Still managed a 5k in the ships gym and also another 5k on the top deck running track! This week might be a bit harder tho !

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
You are all so much faster than me ! Working on it though and long term goals etc . Anyway been away stuffing my face and drinking to excess on a Cruise round the med ^_^ Still managed a 5k in the ships gym and also another 5k on the top deck running track! This week might be a bit harder tho !
I was thinking the same thing - I'm a good few minutes off a 21 minute 5km!

Anyroad, my speed improvement plan continued with a slow (6.47 min per KM) 12km on Saturday, after "quick" runs in the week (one interval run, and one speed test (how much can you cover in 12 minutes)). 12km is the furthest I've ever run in one go (so far).

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Went to parkrun for the first time in three weeks on Saturday and forgot my ruddy barcode!

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
in the five weeks I've been going to Canterbury regularly, my time has improved every week - this week, by 89 seconds on last week's time.
My fastest time on any course this year is 25:33...

Faster again this week, knocking 40 seconds off last week for a time of 25:25, so that's also a PB for the year, the fastest I've been on this course since Feb 2015, and 4th fastest time on this course ever.*

Lately, I've been running purely on feel, but today I set the virtual pacer on my watch with the aim of pushing myself to get under 26 minutes. Went out quicker on the flat section to get some time in hand for the hilly bits and managed to stay ahead of pace all the way round. Totally shagged at the end but very happy.

*Only two seconds slower than my 3rd fastest time on this course, set in August 2014, but being three years older now, that actually represents an improvement in my age grading! ^_^

flatflr

Guru
2nd taper week, taking it easy and resting the legs:

Tues - 5.5 miles - Damn that was wet
Thurs - 7 miles - Humid
Sat - 10 miles on the bike, slow, very slow
Sun - 10 miles - Up on the Ridgeway, saw a load of people doing the Race to the Stones, maybe next year....

Bring on next weekend....

Missed Saturdays ParkRuns, as I was working a day-turn

There is. however, a new run starting on Saturday (29th)
I won't get to the inaugural event, as I'm working an early-turn
http://www.parkrun.org.uk/rothwell/course/

It's slightly annoying, as I ran the first events at both Nostell Priory, & Pontefract
As of Saturday 15th.......
Nostell #155 (1st event = 26th July 2014)
Pontefract #322 (1st event = 7th May 2011)

There's meant to be one commencing soon, in MIddleton Park, not sure when?
The northern edge of the park is also the northern terminus, of the Worlds first commercial railway (opened as a wagonway in 1758)
http://www.middletonrailway.org.uk/

Last edited:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
This may be of interest to parkrunners - all courses ranked according to elevation: https://jegmar.com/fastest-races/parkrun/

By far the toughest parkrun I've done is Bedgebury Pinetum, which I'm not surprised to see comes down at 433 out of 451 on the list - it's a single lap course with a viciously steep climb just 500m from the finish. Lovely course though, definitely one I'd like to go back and do again.

Canterbury is 389th, so it's at the more challenging end of the spectrum, but the course is very sheltered, which I'm sure makes it a little easier - Margate is 308th but it's along the clifftops so very exposed to the wind, which can make it hard going.

If you'd asked me which was the flattest I've done, I would have said Pegwell Bay, which I didn't think could possibly be any flatter, but that only comes joint 12th. According to the list, the flattest I've done is Weymouth - 3rd flattest in the country!

Last edited:

Znook

aka PureZOOG
I've just informed them that their gain for my event is incorrect. Seems they've used the stats for our old C2 course even though we've not used it for 80 odd events, our current C4 course being a slightly easier 109ft vs 147ft lol.

Top Bottom