Any Runners On Here??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Running suspended last week as I tapered for a 100km FNRttC

Tin Pot

Guru
Achilles. Stiff this morning. Think it's from too fast a pace run last Thursday...not running tonight, but do I stop turbo training as well?

Managed to run to (& home from) work on three days this week
Given recent knee pains, the two consecutive days were a bonus for me!

Nostell Priory ParkRun # 150 this morning, which was a paced event
I had intentions of staying with the '24', but it didn't happen:headshake:
I did, however, stay ahead of the '25'. which was a bonus!!
No officials yet, as there's no 'database connection' for the PR homepage

Trunce 5 tomorrow!!:hyper::hyper:

The river (Don) should be up

The start is fairly gentle (spotted myself, taking it steady, at about 01.19, with 'vest 2497')
2016 race 6th/9

Then, the Don can be shallow; crossing 1 of 3 (this is also the 3rd, on the 'back')
2011 race 2nd/9

And, then, after lots of rain....................:laugh:
More fun, when its like that (crossing 2)
2012 race 3rd/9

Plus............ we pay £1.50 for the privilege of slogging our guts out, slithering down through the woods, & risking being swept away/drowning

No wonder we all return year after year:angel:
(I ran my first, in 2009, & have run it whenever I can since)

Edit @ 20:40
By the way; for the railway-ists out there (I'm one of them!!)
The treeline, behind us, in the first video clip (2016 - 6) is the trackbed of the Woodhead Line, & now part of the Trans-Pennine Trail, as the race starts/finishes at Oxspring

Last edited:

flatflr

Guru
Decided to head out for a run through Savernake Forest (near Marlborough) on Sat with a mate, went online and found a 11 mile route through the forest and a few footpaths around. Within about a mile we managed to miss the path we wanted but heading on, ended up running through the undergrowth for about 1/2 mile to get back to one of the tracks. Result was half marathon distance in just under 2 hours (with lots of stops to check the map and running through bracken). Great place for a run.

Felt pretty good today so I headed out for a leg loosener on one of my normal tow path routes managing 4 mile and the legs still feel good.

Good weekend:smile:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Also went into run4it today with full intention of buying trainers, walked out with nothing. Very little choice and very high priced nothing less than £90 !? I realise decent trainers cost a bit,however will look for cheaper options.

Sandra6

Veteran
I started running again last month, did a mile or two every other day or so until I'd completed a marathon in May - it was an online challenge I fancied having a go at.
I've tried running in the past, had terrible shin splints the first couple of times, and a bout of broncitis put paid to the last attempt. This time I've gone quite slowly and built up at a sensible rate, I can now run a mile without walking, and after a couple of minutes walk I can do the last half mile, but I've been getting pain in my achilles tendon. I will confess I had to google to find out what the tendon was called!
It started in the left ankle , but it didn't really stop me running. Then the same thing with the right -but it ballooned quite worryingly. Ive rested for a week and tried just a mile this morning, basically a minute run, a minute walk at no great pace. But I'm paying for it now.
Im beginning to wonder if running's even for me!

Trunce 5 tomorrow!!:hyper::hyper:

The river (Don) should be up
Sadly it wasn't too bad:sad:

Another fairly steady race (for me), starting well back, talking to Jenna, one of our Medical Photographers, who was there.
She's the 'banner girl' under the 'Trunce 5' title
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mossienetphotography/albums/72157682966809720

I'm also in there somewhere, with race number '2497'
As are some of our members

Somehow, I'm not sure how, it was a seasons 'PB' by 32 seconds:blink:
156th/332 @ 36:58 (I miss the times, I was getting top 40 places in 2011/2012)

Darrington 5 this afternoon
12:20 start
'Church Fields'
Darrington

After not entering last year, I - for some reason - have entered this years race

Maybe it's because I've seen the memento, for it being the 20th year?
http://www.darringtonvillagefield.org/5 mile run.html
I'll presume it's the usual course, as the village website seems to state that
It was my first ever race, back in 2008, having stated to SWMBO, that I'd only run for fitness/weight-loss
Nine years later............................
2008 = 30th/152 @ 36:53
2009 = 31st/153 at 36:52
2015 =47th/195 @ 37:58 (far too hot/humid a day for me, but still a top-50 though!)

I know I'll not better my 2015, time, I can feel it in my bones
Given present fitness, I'll be happy for a 'sub 40', unless I get my lardy ass into action:blush:

2008 finish (when I was still entering/running, under Cycling Club name)

2008. Darrington. 4.jpg

The route; http://gb.mapometer.com/running/route_4040825.html
There's the A1, to the immediate east, M62, roughly a mile north, at FerryBridge - where they intersect

I'm not looking forward to this one, as it's a course that's not nice (in my mind) even on the bike
The long draggy (slightly up/slightly down) Moor Lane, from Darrington into Wentbridge isn't nice
The climb of Wentbridge Cutting is also not nice, & if any of you have fathers/uncles/grandfathers who were in the haulage business, pre (about 1965??), ask them about this stretch of the Great North Road (A1)

Pictures taken, during the taking of a photo-guide to the clubs Half-Marathon course

Base of Wentbridge Cutting
Wentbridge. 5.JPG

Partway up (& this was the 1830's realignment of the GNR, to make it easier for horse-drawn traffic)
Wentbridge. 7.JPG

A left-turn onto Westfield Lane, as the A1 is 100 yards along the (GNR) 'main road'
Wentbridge. 10.JPG
I'll hazard a guess that my buddies Mick & Angela will take the 'local residents' prizes
Mick may well also take the Vet 55-59, given that he won the age-group at the ITU British Triathlon Championship, at Roundhay Park (Leeds) last weekend
It was the ITU's National Championship event, as well as the televised Elite racest

Last edited:
Well.......................
Horrible, horrible, & truly horrible!!
Horrendously hot, & I was weaving from side to side, by the 2 mile mark
Got into Wentbridge, & to the water station - at the base of the Cutting - and walked all the way up it :heat::heat:

I caught Mick, on Westfield Lane (the road back, from the junction with the A1)
His calf had gone, & he was walking back
Angela didn't run due to injury (as I found out pre-start)

I was a bit miffed, that my friend Alison wouldn't give me a hug at the finish line, but I guess I looked 'horrendous'
I was allowed to give her a peck on the cheek, after wiping my face:rolleyes:

My (self) time was 43:59
However, given the 'Cutting walk', & walking with Mick for a hundred yards or so, I guess it's not that bad really?

Came home & did something I've not done for a l-o-n-g time, for any reason............ fell asleep on bed
Joanne woke me up after an hour, but I went back to sleep, & had another hour

One shower, & two pots of tea later, & I'm almost human again
Almost

Top Bottom