Any Runners On Here??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Recommendations for running shoes ? Was thinking about going and getting my gait checked however my Mrs might be able to help with that . Is it a case of the more you pay the better ? Or like everything else the law of diminishing returns. Also being 15 stone I'm gonna require quite a bit of cushioning. Current Adidas trainers which were bought with some intention of running 2 yrs ago I reckon were not made for Clydesdales like me ! :blush:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Ime the ultimate Clydesdale shoe is ASICS Gel-Kayano. Currently on release 23. Do not pay rrp.

I am biased. I own three pairs.

Tin Pot

Guru
If only. As rule of thumb if they are super cheap your feet are an unusual size or they aren't great shoes. And, ime, Clydesdales deserve great shoes ;)

I'm a EU 40 extra wide...found a great bargain on CRC in the spring for some Gaerne spdsl wide fit road shoes, £44 down from £90 :smile:

Tin Pot

Guru
Probably won't make good running shoes though
Personally I use asics, but running shoes are like saddles and you have to find the ones that suit you.
It's an example of the bargains available.

I got Adidas Boost for £48 in December, I think the discount was a similar 40-50%

Online shoe reviews/opinions are a waste of time, order a bargain and try them out.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It's an example of the bargains available.

I got Adidas Boost for £48 in December, I think the discount was a similar 40-50%

Online shoe reviews/opinions are a waste of time, order a bargain and try them out.
That's an expensive way to experiment ;)

I'd rather get advice from a serious retailer, find something that suits, and stick with it.

Tin Pot

Guru
That's an expensive way to experiment ;)

I'd rather get advice from a serious retailer, find something that suits, and stick with it.

...Returns are free, so no cost.

Serious retailers just regurgitate the marketing material, maybe get you to run on a treadmill to make it seem scientific, they have no insight into engineering and physiology.

Unless you have a significant physical issues, it's all guff. :smile:

Also being cheap makes it easier to have two or three pairs to rotate - good for foot health both hygiene wise and to vary the type of support and cushioning you get so you don't become dependant :smile:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Only issue is I don't suppose you will know what fits and is comfortable until you run in them? However I do believe that it's all ball aches most of the time !

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
...Returns are free, so no cost.

Serious retailers just regurgitate the marketing material, maybe get you to run on a treadmill to make it seem scientific, they have no insight into engineering and physiology.

Unless you have a significant physical issues, it's all guff. :smile:

Also being cheap makes it easier to have two or three pairs to rotate - good for foot health both hygiene wise and to vary the type of support and cushioning you get so you don't become dependant :smile:
Our experiences are clearly very different.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Only issue is I don't suppose you will know what fits and is comfortable until you run in them? However I do believe that it's all ball aches most of the time !
Yep. And you'll think that until you find the right shoes and then you'll go OMFG! Some of it is guff, some of it ain't. Ime/imo/ymmv

flatflr

Guru
Headed out early (for me) to miss the rain for a distance training flat (with a little "kick up" at the end) run and made an effort to keep the pace slower than recent runs. Managed 15 miles at 8:33/mi pace.

Time for a steak and a beer to recover:smile:

Top Bottom