Any Runners On Here??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just entered my Clubs half-marathon, online

It'll be my first (& shamefully, only) half, since 2009

I can only hope that my foot holds up, & allows me to get the requisite training miles in
Early last year, I ran a -normal paced- 11.3 miles in 1.22, so I know I can do something reasonable
(it's just the climb out of the north-side of Wentbridge, up the old 'Great North Road', that's a bugger)

http://www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk/ackworthhalf/4587834622

Well, it's this Sunday, & I'll be suffering, as I've had (what turned out to be) Athletes Foot for the past few weeks, so I've barely run much more than the trip home from work at a time
(last '10' was 1st March)

However, I'm not sure if I'm worried by my number given what happened to the bearer of the number in the Steve Earle song..........................

Unfortunately, I don't know the wearer of the other Steve Earle related race-number:becool:

Well, it's this Sunday, & I'll be suffering, as I've had (what turned out to be) Athletes Foot for the past few weeks, so I've barely run much more than the trip home from work at a time

Itch, flake, scratch, itch
Repeat ad nauseum

P4091506.JPG

(last '10' was 1st March)
However, I'm not sure if I'm worried by my number given what happened to the bearer of the number in the Steve Earle song..........................

I suffered, but thankfully no 'I cut back, heard it crack'

Well....................

An interesting morning
Very windy on (the exposed) parts of the course, a threat of rain before the start (didn't though!)

Joanne took me, with the intention of driving to parts of the course, to take photos

First mile was a bit fast @ 7:04
Reached 2 miles in 15:42

Joanne was parked up, just by the 3 miles, again I was ahead of schedule @ 21:47

Reached the half-way point (Darrington 'lights') at 47:04 - happy with that, given Wentbridge Cutting :smile:

Started to blow slightly, after passing the 8 mile mark @ about 1.01:23

Once we'd got back into Wentbridge, the thighs were feeling solid, & damned painful

Thus, it was a slow, lose as little time as possible, struggle back to the finish
I lost about 9 places over the last 5 miles, which hacked me off, but I wasn't in a position to do anything about it

The climb up SandyGate to the finish was tough, I did consider walking :eek:

To my chagrin, I just missed out on my desired time, but didn't feel I could have pushed harder

Too little training, & the state of my foot were the issues here.

Still, I guess I'm happy with; 92nd/347 @ 1.45:55

That was based on starter-numbers, & in 'real-time', via live-screens, not finishers (I know 2 retired)

I went straight into the Hot-Tub, when I got home :rolleyes:

Photos to follow

A few photos

Becky Winters
our first lady; 43rd @ 1.38:00

10644467_10152853475081139_3384557609065579693_n.jpg

10 mile mark & suffering (worrying about how much time I'm losing)

10929904_10206691403027392_3746201344557435644_n.jpg

Crossing the line
11129693_10152853477311139_6122825433099689399_o.jpg

Rose,, Tim, Angie & Gemma, at Wentbridge, on the 'back'
11133864_821733104546686_4884246303360221547_o.jpg

My friend Angela (Pontefract AC), who is a national duathlon champion 27th @ 1.32;13
11137172_10152853474341139_1446156788218779436_n.jpg

All pain. no gain, at Wentbridge
DSCF2181.JPG

Terry Forrest, our first man home; 2nd @ 1.15;30
. DSCF2152.JPG

Back home........ and, relax..
DSCF2190.JPG

After a week of barely no running, due to really tender (sore to touch!) backs of thighs, I went to the Pontefract ParkRun (#202) this morning - for a change

This was, however, in support of a friend/ex-collegue, who is trying to get fit again, so it was very much a run/walk/jog/wheeze/etc...... (no slight on her, she knows I love her, as the expression goes)

It was a very steady affair though, with the pair of us being the last to finish, letting her finish ahead of me; 249th & 250th
http://www.parkrun.org.uk/pontefract/results/weeklyresults/?runSeqNumber=202

I
will admit to looking at my watch, to check how far round we'd got when my PB time passed

Olivia, happy to have finished
202. 4.JPG

Last edited:
I went out for a 5-miler while my son was in the pool, and then stopped off at parkrun on the way home to do something with a bit more pace.
Went round in 20:13 with a wava of just over 71.

I'd like to be fit enough -again- to get that kind of figure, but then again, I wonder how your local compares to my two, in terms of gradient profile?

Last edited:
Richard - I was at Pollok Park. it has about 90m of ascent. The official parkrun description is:
The route ...is scenic, sheltered, and undulating, with generally wide paths. It is designed to be enjoyable, rather than for pure PB speed.
Today I did the 3 Castles Duathlon (Ayr). The first 5k was in 20:12, then it was a 27k ride followed by another 5k (21:01 - both unofficial watch times). It was my first time on a bike since the Strathpuffer back in January, so a top half finish was very welcome.

SimonJKH

Blue collar cyclist
Bungay half marathon today. I was ill prepared for this - no long runs at all since the Cambridge half - and considering this was the Norfolk border there were quite a few up-y down-y bits to deal with. I would have cried off but the Mrs had entered the 10k so I had to go anyway, so I gave it a shot.
I struggled. It was really rough. Got a terrible stitch at about 15k and had to walk a couple of minutes, but a passing team-mate got me moving again. Got around in 1hr52, just about 3 seconds off my Cambridge time. Couldn't believe it!
7yQ6q6.jpg

Myself and the Mrs after all the puffing and panting. You can tell she pb'ed the 10k!

Last of the long distance slowburners today in preparation for the big day, on May 4th, with a 40 km run down the Strawberry Line in just under 4 hours. It's all tapering down from now and having done 65 km this week, the training is at its peak. I think without the hydration backpack and the 705 feet of elevation gain on my normal route, the extra 2.2 km shouldn't be too much of a problem. But...need to be a bit faster for a sub-4.

Advice Please:
As we are all obviously cyclists as well I'd like to ask what people think. The marathon is on May 4th but at the moment I am also commuting 50 km per day to the school where I am on long-term supply. Now, I've never felt stronger than today after a week of commuting (250 km) and two mid-week runs when I got back from work but, if you were me, that last week - the week after next - would you consider not cycling some of the days as part of the tapering down process? I'm interested in people's thoughts as I have had very good advice from a PT (a very well known chap who trained Hannah England) that implied that cycling is good aerobic exercise alongside the more intense running but I'm one of those souls on a bike who tends not to hang about and despite taking it steady on a few of last week's commutes, I'm not sure even that is a good idea that last week. What you all reckon? Thanks in advance for any input. Oh and although my car is off the road I can get the train so there is an alternative...

Take the train.
You would have invested a massive amount into your training so why bother compromising it by continuing to commute? Plus if you were to have an unfortunate off you could jeopardise the whole lot without a big enough recovery window.
I once ran the Edinburgh marathon a week after doing the Etape Caledonia and really struggled after just mile 14. It was horrible. I also crashed on my commute in the week leading up to an "A" race and had to run with a load of skin missing on my right hip. I was lucky that it wasn't a lot worse.
Well, that's my tuppence worth :smile:

stephec

Legendary Member
A bit of advice if you don't mind please?

I started running about six months ago and everything was going well until a couple of months ago.

I started with a pain in my knee that stopped me running, and I left alone until the pain finally disappeared.

Starting running again brought the pain back straight away, and this morning my doctor reckons he can feel the start of arthritis coming on.

Has anyone managed to keep going with this, or did you have to do as my doctor says and give up?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Last of the long distance slowburners today in preparation for the big day, on May 4th, with a 40 km run down the Strawberry Line in just under 4 hours. It's all tapering down from now and having done 65 km this week, the training is at its peak. I think without the hydration backpack and the 705 feet of elevation gain on my normal route, the extra 2.2 km shouldn't be too much of a problem. But...need to be a bit faster for a sub-4.

Advice Please:
As we are all obviously cyclists as well I'd like to ask what people think. The marathon is on May 4th but at the moment I am also commuting 50 km per day to the school where I am on long-term supply. Now, I've never felt stronger than today after a week of commuting (250 km) and two mid-week runs when I got back from work but, if you were me, that last week - the week after next - would you consider not cycling some of the days as part of the tapering down process? I'm interested in people's thoughts as I have had very good advice from a PT (a very well known chap who trained Hannah England) that implied that cycling is good aerobic exercise alongside the more intense running but I'm one of those souls on a bike who tends not to hang about and despite taking it steady on a few of last week's commutes, I'm not sure even that is a good idea that last week. What you all reckon? Thanks in advance for any input. Oh and although my car is off the road I can get the train so there is an alternative...
Train it to from work. It's a taper. Cutting out the bike isn't going to do you any harm, keeping on it might, especially if you can't ride slow ;)

Top Bottom