Any serious darts players on here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I was in the merchant navy after leaving school. Darts was about the only "sport" available on board ship in those days, so we played a LOT of darts. I wasn't bad, and played in the local pub league when at home. Never went out without a set of tungsten darts in my pocket, in case the opportunity arose for a game. Having said that, I only remember ever scoring the magic 180 on 2 occasions, and one of those was in a pub when I had forgotten my own darts and was playing with the pub darts - the big brass things with plastic flights! I miss the old fashioned pubs with dart boards; yet another activity disappearing.

13 rider

Guru
I played League darts for 20 odd years in the top divisions . I was only average at that level but used to hit around 6 180,s a season and have once finished a leg with 170 for which I still have the highest checkout trophy . But the level required to played a Pro level is incredible to average over 100 with 3 darts over several legs is unbelievable

D

Deleted member 26715

Haven't watched it on TV for a few years, sounds like it's moved on to a proper professional game, I presume the prizes have increased significantly to attract those that are willing to train. Do the women & men still play separate tournaments, would have thought with the new PC they would have combined, it's not a 'power' sport.

classic33

Leg End Member
Haven't watched it on TV for a few years, sounds like it's moved on to a proper professional game, I presume the prizes have increased significantly to attract those that are willing to train. Do the women & men still play separate tournaments, would have thought with the new PC they would have combined, it's not a 'power' sport.
A new governing body, the UKDA, took over when when the BDO went in 2020 after a farcical last championship in 2020, no sponsor(lower prize money) and entries under false names. The PDC had already been formed following the fallout over prize money in the 90's. Now you have a new organization(UKDA) trying to make its mark in its first full year.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Back in the 70s---90s I played a lot at pub level. Say it myself I was a decent player.
BUT......
Watching the world championship on tv......those guys are amazing.

Bobby George threw the first 3 dart average over 100 in 1979.
Now you wouldn’t stand a chance of winning with that score.
The PDC has massively improved the game. The boards are better, the wire thinner, the darts more streamlined. Plus players are now full time professionals.
When you could watch the two world championships side by side the quality of darts was worlds apart.
You had average players like Martin Adams winning the BDO championship but he wouldn’t have coped in the PDC. Partly because it is now a bear pit, which is the only thing I dislike about the modern game.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Brought up to play 301/501 then moved here where we played 'round the board'........the lowest number of throws for RTB is 9 darts and I had that a few times at my peak.......no chance now😀

D

Deleted member 26715

Would not RTB be 20? Or am I miss understanding?

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Would not RTB be 20? Or am I miss understanding?
Doubles count in RTB so.....
Double 1
Double 4
Double 9
Bull.
Long time since I played seriously but you get my point.

Edit
Maybe......
Double 10 etc

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I’m by no means a serious player but got a new board for Christmas as I enjoy throwing a few darts.

FC5A7797-FDB8-45B5-BAD6-ADCEE552519C.jpeg

B7658586-3F85-4F5F-B1EA-F616E0C2E4AC.jpeg

I knocked up the back board with some off cuts and spare paint.

Should I go with the padded protector or better without?

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Back in the 70s---90s I played a lot at pub level. Say it myself I was a decent player.
BUT......
Watching the world championship on tv......those guys are amazing.

The standard of darts in the final was unbelievable.
Over 30 180s and possibly the greatest leg of darts ever seen, with 2 possible 9 dart finishes.
As you say the standard now is light years above even what we saw in the 80s and has even moved on from the Phil Taylor era.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Just doing a bit of research into prize money, which is clearly a huge driver behind the quality of darts.
In 1995 the prize money for winning was £12,000. This was about the average annual salary for a UK worker.
Since 2019 the winner gets £500,000. Far in excess of an average salary.
That is why the standard has improved immeasurably.

Top Bottom