Any serious darts players on here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
He doesn’t have the stamina for long games, and that’s understandable.

Coaching with a sports psychologist in a couple of years and the lad's going to be a destroyer.

That double shot into treble 18 was awful luck

AndyRM

XOXO
A genuine question:

Would those who know way more about this than me say it's about mental or physical stamina? I appreciate that a repeated action is going to put some amount of strain on the arm, but it strikes me more as a mental effort to maintain that level of concentration, a bit like snooker.

Jody

Stubborn git
Would those who know way more about this than me say it's about mental or physical stamina? I appreciate that a repeated action is going to put some amount of strain on the arm, but it strikes me more as a mental effort to maintain that level of concentration, a bit like snooker.

Mental. You can see how one stray dart or one decent checkout can affect the next few legs.

Also with dartitis, once that mental block sets in they usually can't throw properly again.

AndyRM

XOXO
Mental. You can see how one stray dart or one decent checkout can affect the next few legs.

Also with dartitis, once that mental block sets in they usually can't throw properly again.

Thank you. I've watched a couple of games in the past and noticed that some players just fell off a cliff when they'd made an arse of a throw. Really makes you appreciate how much pressure there is out there.

Last edited:

Jody

Stubborn git
Felt sorry for Littler as that one dart changed the whole complex of the game there after. Every missed treble after made it harder and harder

Beer helps. I was talking with a colleague yesterday about the ratio of pints needed for a good game. 2-3 seems to be the golden number where performance peaks

Couldn't help but think he needed a cheeky half during a break.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Felt sorry for Littler as that one dart changed the whole complex of the game there after. Every missed treble after made it harder and harder

Beer helps. I was talking with a colleague yesterday about the ratio of pints needed for a good game. 2-3 seems to be the golden number where performance peaks

Couldn't help but think he needed a cheeky half during a break.

If the beer theory is correct... Tother Luke seemed okay without it...
beta blockers would have a similar effect...
Dependency on a 'substance' may end up being like the feather Dumbo used to fly
Driving cars after a few pints would be 'encouraged'...
Possibly your mates have a hindsight bias? & feel they play better after a few 🍻🤔😵‍💫🤪

AndyRM

XOXO
Anecdotal I know, but there may be something in the beer theory...

When I played in a pool team, we all found that three pints seemed to be an optimal limit to achieve peak performance. The tricky part was maintaining that level over the course of an evening.

However, I do have conflicting evidence from when I played hockey... My uni teams half time ritual consisted of sharing a 3L bottle of premium white cider and a spliff so our second half performance was badly impaired. To make up for this we made sure to score plenty in the first so we were rarely beaten. With proper commitment we'd have been a really good side!

So the balance is even in my experience. I will have to take up darts for further research.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
As just pointed out by James OBrien, if Littler was an unaccompanied child refugee, the Daily Mail would be demanding we carbon date his teeth and saying he’s clearly an adult.

1704396757251.png

Luke wins first amateur trophy, aged 11.

Slick

Guru
A genuine question:

100% Mental.

I think you could see it in the wee guys face as he struggled to maintain his concentration level for the entire match.

A couple of years experience and exposure to all sorts of experts will soon fix that.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Both play a part but imo the mental side can be the decider eg when I was a regular pub darts player I was decent standard but even though I was better then my FiL** I rarely beat him.....he somehow psyched me out.
**I loved him and the feeling was mutual so I never knew why it was so.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
And at the same time the media are now ripping several tonnes of shoot about him daring to have a girl friend about 4 years older than him. Especially the media owned by the 92 year old guy who has married a succession of women at least 30 years his junior.

Good point.

Top Bottom