Any Sparkies - Wiring question...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've got to change a socket in the house, I'm happy doing it.... done it loads of times (not sure if you are meant to DIY electrics... but I work in a shop that sells them and we sell loads) Question is I've had the socket off and the wires are crazy short. can I join the 2 ends of ring main cables with a hefty screw connector block to a short piece of ring main cable 2 lives to a short piece of live and 2 neutrals to a short piece of neutral. see diagrams for general gist.....

I think I can... but thought I'd ask on a cycling forum! (joking apart we have a wealth of knowledge amongst ourselves)

classic33

Leg End Member
Where do the blocks go when the faceplate is back on the box though.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I've done that sort of thing. I've also come across that sort of thing, presumably done by those with certificates. As long as everything is fused (MCB'd seems a clumsy word) at the consumer unit correctly then you are good to go (ie for the smallest wire in your circuit). But I don't hold a certificate.

OP
OP
simon the viking
You could, but you're introducing another weak point/connection. I wouldn't do it.

Where's the earth wire?
Sorry the earths are there with plenty of cable just forgot to add them to dodgy sketch!

I'm only thinking of doing it as its under a cupboard and a nightmare to get over to look properly if wires were an inch or 2 longer it would help considerably

OP
OP
simon the viking
I've done that sort of thing. I've also come across that sort of thing, presumably done by those with certificates. As long as everything is fused (MCB'd seems a clumsy word) at the consumer unit correctly then you are good to go (ie for the smallest wire in your circuit). But I don't hold a certificate.
Thanks for input I'll get a bit of cable and if I tear out too much hair trying not to use it, I'll use it.... What could possibly go wrong:crazy:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
well what's the other option ? Running a whole new ring in ?? Me I would join them but I would make sure they are electrically sound and mechanically protected .
Just make sure you connect them up properly i.e don't pinch the insulation etc of the cables . If you can remove the back box see if there is room to fit a junction box behind and then bring your cables through. Main point you don't want to catch the joins your making when refitting the faceplate .

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Its fine, you are placing joint in an accessible location so no issue with the Regs. Maintain the same CSA on your small extension cables, it's likey they are 2.5mm so stay the same.

Poor practice though, if it were me I'd be looking to pull additional through where possible, or even jointing under the floor using maintenance free joints (WAGO in a suitable box, secured to a joist meets the requirement). Just my opinion, as someone who holds a certificate.

OP
OP
simon the viking
well what's the other option ? Running a whole new ring in ?? Me I would join them but I would make sure they are electrically sound and mechanically protected .
To be honest I think house could do with a rewire... But I'm not going there!... It can be done without what I'm thinking.... just looking at the wires I know I'm going to struggle as I could only get it about an inch away from the wall when I unscrewed it

OP
OP
simon the viking
Its fine, you are placing joint in an accessible location so no issue with the Regs. Maintain the same CSA on your small extension cables, it's likey they are 2.5mm so stay the same.

Poor practice though, if it were me I'd be looking to pull additional through where possible, or even jointing under the floor using maintenance free joints (WAGO in a suitable box, secured to a joist meets the requirement). Just my opinion, as someone who holds a certificate.
Tried pulling cable no give at all, and not up to running new cable ( and assume I'm deffo not meant to do that...) Thanks for your advice.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
It used to be standard to use connector boxes (circular jobbies a few inches in diameter) in lighting circuits as well as ring mains so as long as your terminal connectors are hefty enough.
1593717707371.png
This is a 30 A one from Screwfix

Also - here's a bit of "chocolate block" connector in it's own box.
1593717668585.png

Here's the sort of thing you want to do
1593717870622.png

So I thinks you is good to go.

OP
OP
simon the viking
Thanks for everyone's advice... I think I'l
It used to be standard to use connector boxes (circular jobbies a few inches in diameter) in lighting circuits as well as ring mains so as long as your terminal connectors are hefty enough. View attachment 533807 This is a 30 A one from Screwfix

Also - here's a bit of "chocolate block" connector in it's own box.
View attachment 533806

Here's the sort of thing you want to do
View attachment 533809

So I thinks you is good to go.
No room for them... was thinking single hefty chocolate blocks.

Top Bottom