Any summer holiday plans this year ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lullabelle

Banana
A break from the long haul trips to Asia this year, we are spending 8 days walking in the North East of Iceland, getting right up to the Arctic Circle. It's a fly drive, stopping at three different hotels, plenty of swimming in thermal pools, whale watching and volcano bothering. Should be fun.

It also means no jabs before we go ^_^

Lullabelle

Banana
I prefer a bit more exploring. Got a taste for temples in 2015 at Angkor, hence Burna (esp Bagan)

My 50th birthday isn't all that far away and Vietnam, Cambodia are on my list, would live to see the temples. Need to do some serious thinking.

vickster

Legendary Member
My 50th birthday isn't all that far away and Vietnam, Cambodia are on my list, would live to see the temples. Need to do some serious thinking.
Go for it
You'll need jabs and anti malarials (Malarone, FYI Asda was cheapest in Nov 2015)

vickster

Legendary Member
Last year was Borneo and had quite a few, some were ok as I was still covered from when we went to Thailand, but I should imagine by that time they will have worn off and I need to do the whole thing all over again :sad:
Most last ten years or more (iirc hep A is 25 years as long as you have the booster)

Ras al-Khaimah to visit family for 10 days at Easter, then two weeks slobbing by a pool in Lanzarote come July.

MarkF

Guru
Ok......................when my kids reached 16 we allowed them to name their holiday destination for that year. My youngest son Joe was 16 in 2015 and chose Benidorm, he likes the TV show, MrsF was horrified, the elder son had chosen Bilbao in his year, I don't think she told a single sole where we were going. ^_^ I went with an open mind, watching the footie whilst paying 1 euro a pint opened it a little more, soon I was wearing a vest and in the Dayton bar for the AC/DC tribute band most nights.............

My daughter (16 in May) has chosen it again. ^_^ MrsF is now horrified again but I am ok with it. I have rented an "exclusive penthouse" as far away from the strip as possible to smooth things over a little.

https://www.homeaway.co.uk/p1110362

Edit:- Smoothing things over has already cost me trip to Naples in April.

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia... just for 7 days in August to meet up with family and (hopefully) witness my third total eclipse of the sun. I don't holiday very often... last one was 2011, one before that 2006, 2002, '99, '94 ...only five holidays as an adult, in fact. I must get out more!

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Ok......................when my kids reached 16 we allowed them to name their holiday destination for that year. My youngest son Joe was 16 in 2015 and chose Benidorm, he likes the TV show, MrsF was horrified, the elder son had chosen Bilbao in his year, I don't think she told a single sole where we were going. ^_^ I went with an open mind, watching the footie whilst paying 1 euro a pint opened it a little more, soon I was wearing a vest and in the Dayton bar for the AC/DC tribute band most nights.............

My daughter (16 in May) has chosen it again. ^_^ MrsF is now horrified again but I am ok with it. I have rented an "exclusive penthouse" as far away from the strip as possible to smooth things over a little.

https://www.homeaway.co.uk/p1110362

Edit:- Smoothing things over has already cost me trip to Naples in April.
We've done Benidorm a couple times. Perhaps like your wife, I was kinda mortified about what to expect...but we went back, something I rarely ever do.
Those buildings / apartments are quite new I think, we didn't remember that block of buildings the first time and IIRC, there's virtually nothing behind you barring the little mountain with the cross on it.
I actually like Benidorm, its got its old harbour and a local flavour, its got the inevitable British quarter but as you say, embrace it and enjoy a lively time with cheap beer, Aqualandia for the teens is just up the road from you although we thought it had got pricey in our last visit two years ago.
We tried walking from near your appts end of the Levante beach right to the other end near the funny twin tower hotel miles away....nearly made it but its always lively :okay:

Julia9054

Guru
So thanks to you starting this thread @gbb my summer holiday is now booked!
5 nights in Potsdam just outside Berlin, train to Krakow and 6 nights in the heart of the old city.
Happy days!

Reactions: gbb
Top Bottom