Any swimmers here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Recently, after a lull of many years, I've been swimming a few times.
Sometimes, like today, with No.1 daughter and the grandkids, 7 and 1 yrs old, and a couple of times alone.

I can feel different muscles being stretched and toned up other than my cycling ones.

Mounts-ext.jpg

mounts-int.jpg

Mounts Pool, in Northampton.

I really must make an effort to go more regularly!

:training:

surfdude

Veteran
probably

LocalLad

I've been mixing my exercise up this year - swimming, cycling and running. I definitely feel fitter overall for doing all three. It might be psychological, in that it's more interesting to mix it up so I exercise more, or it might be due to the use of different muscles.

screenman

Legendary Member
I swim 5 x 1 hour sessions a week most weeks, a total of 10k++ the difference in body shape and overall fitness is huge. Only been at it for 18 months but I cannot see me ever wanting to pack it in.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
We have a few 'leisure pools' around the town, but swimming is hardly possible. The Mounts is, I think, a 50m pool,with a separate 'baby/toddler/learning pool at the far end (just visible through the window on the photo)

Yes, it's a lovely bit of architecture!

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd like to swim more, but I've got a poorly shoulder, so it's not the most comfortable activity at the moment :sad:. It's quite costly, a fiver here and I get bored/cold/tired/sore after around 30-40 minutes

My local pool has been refurbed so I'm less concerned about being brained by a falling ceiling tile. They have lane sessions at various times in the day

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
When work allows (and that's mostly!) I swim every afternoon - 1km a day - and have done for probably a decade now. Great exercise, and kind of therapeutic too, in a gormless meditational sort of way. When I don't get to swim for a few days I really miss it. Don't feel so loose, don't sleep so well, more liable to fret. Swimming keeps me sane.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I grew up by the sea. Swimming was what we did to get out of the water after falling in. Never did understand the attraction of leisure swimming.

The future Mrs swl took me on a date to Dundee pool and still recalls the look of grim determination on my face as I slowly edged out to the middle of the pool then splashed my way furiously back to the edge.

Both of my kids swim competitively which means they train 6 - 7 times a week which means I see swimming pools all of the time so I would appreciate it if you didn't post pool images on a cycling forum . I'm actually at a gala now

That building is very pleasing to the eye though.

Mrs M

Guru
As a kid we lived just down the hill from an almost Olympic sized pool (one lane short).
We were there every day, it was cheap to get in and great fun.
We progressed from only being allowed in the shallow end to proving we were competent enough to get into the deep end (14 foot deep). We could all dive in and touch the bottom. Also jump off the springboard and off the diving boards.
Now it's been cannibalised with flumes and the diving boards are gone :sad:.
Where I live now the local pool is pretty good and has various sessions, just need to get back into the habit of going :smile:.

Top Bottom