Any swimmers here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
After my back operation I was told I should go swimming, I didn't like the idea at first as I had not been swimming for over two years and also I have emphysema on the bike I'm slow up hills, but it does not affect me that much, but in the water I could hardly manage half a length, I think part of it is not breathing right, my timing has gone all to hell, but I quite enjoy it now and made a couple of friends as well so I'll keep at it.

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
I hate swimming.

Just sayin'.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
When I were a lad, I used to go swimming before school at the open air baths in Eltham Park. They're gone now, buried under the A2 dual carriageway.
Bl**dy freezing, but fun!
:cold:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I live a 5 minute walk away from one of the 2 swimming baths in the borough of Hyndburn, so i suppose i should take up swimming again, but due to operation scars and a cyclists tan it puts me off being seen semi nude in public.
I used to go about 3 times a week doing from 50 to a hundred lengths but one day some heavyweight blob dived in and i was left swimming in air as all the water dived out!:laugh: Seriously though she jumped in and half landed on me nearly knocking me out! I haven't bothered since, apart from the odd swim/paddle on holiday.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Recently, after a lull of many years, I've been swimming a few times.
Sometimes, like today, with No.1 daughter and the grandkids, 7 and 1 yrs old, and a couple of times alone.

I can feel different muscles being stretched and toned up other than my cycling ones.

View attachment 107144

View attachment 107145
Mounts Pool, in Northampton.

I really must make an effort to go more regularly!

:training:
Blimey, the Mounts pool is still there?!?! I went to college in N'pton years and years ago, and I swam there regularly!!

mustang1

Legendary Member
I can swim but my technique isnrubbish. For example with forward crawl I have to keep my head above water because I'm unable to tilt my head to breathe in; its not that I'm physically unable to, but because my technique is not good.

I think I'll go to the local pool and sign up for swimming lessons but they want direct debit payments. I prefer to pay by credit card so, I'm on the edge (as it were). What do you reckon, shall I sign up for lessons?

I used to (kind of) swim every Sunday but my technique never improved. Then Mrs Mustang started discouraging me...

screenman

Legendary Member
How can you hate this.

When did you film me?^_^

Swim - yes. Swimmer? sort of.
Apart from a lot more pool time my technique could do with improving a lot. It's the older ladies that frustrate me, there they are, swimming caps on, up and down the pool with an effortless breastroke, having a nice chat.
Then theres Piemaster, churning the water into a foam with a freestyle stroke, every muscle straining, gasping and puffing, and barely going any faster.
Humph.

LocalLad

I've joined a triathlon club and in the space of 3 coached swimming sessions, the difference is my technique has been incredible

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Swim - yes. Swimmer? sort of.
Apart from a lot more pool time my technique could do with improving a lot. It's the older ladies that frustrate me, there they are, swimming caps on, up and down the pool with an effortless breastroke, having a nice chat.
Then theres Piemaster, churning the water into a foam with a freestyle stroke, every muscle straining, gasping and puffing, and barely going any faster.
Humph.
Yes very true there are two old dears must be well over 70+ and they must do at least 20 times up and down and chatting all the time good luck to them.

Top Bottom