Any takers for a ride round Hillingdon cycle track in Hayes London?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
POSH TOYS! You can lead the way then BM!

Timing sounds good -

9:15 Hyde Park Corner - 9:30 roll out

13th Dec:
Davywalnuts
Ianrauk
Redjedi
Cotterpin
ttcycle
Origamist
Bollo?
BentMikey
Stevevw
Tollers

Any more?

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
BentMikey said:
haz gps!!

So 09:15 meet, 09.30 sharp departure then?

Spoilsport.... :biggrin:

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
it's alright Davy, you can do what you did on the park and ride and take your own detour if you want to mouse along?!

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Aperitif not up for a Jaunt? Am sure we go past his new gaff..? Although I dont think were be getting bacon butties or sausage sandwichs? Veggies!

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
ttcycle said:
it's alright Davy, you can do what you did on the park and ride and take your own detour if you want to mouse along?!

Hahaha! With the wind in my hair and little happening inbetween my ears, I just a'kept on going! Rolling Rolling Rolling! :biggrin:

redjedi

Über Member
It should be impossible to get lost between HPC and the track (as long as Martin's not coming :laugh:)

Straight to Shepherds Bush, then up Uxbridge road all the way up to and through Southall and you're there. Not one turning to worry about until we get to the track.

I often go that way, but turn off at Southall.

Unless someone knows of a more scenic route through West London :sad:

redjedi

Über Member
ttcycle said:
ok lets say 9:30 at HPC for all the competitors to roll out of bed in an alcohol induced daze (not naming names...)
:sad:

That was a very rare occurance and was a special occasion the night before.

I usually wait until I've almost finished my riding before start drinking for the weekend :laugh:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Leave the question mark by my name at the mo' because....

Depending on new moon, I might be able to make the FNRttC on the 27th, using up valuable goodwill on behalf of the Doris and trains to Waterloo are tight for the Sunday.

Let's keep the Calshot idea open though.

The main issue with Calshot seems to be access. It's 'close' to Soton on the map but Southampton Water gets in the way. The trek down the western side can add about half an hr's drive to the journey by car from Soton. To train it, I'd carry on to somewhere further down the line (Brockenhurst looks best) and ride to Calshot. That'd be a nice ride. HOWEVER....

There are no direct train services through Southampton at weekends for all December and January (I'll bet Feb as well) because they're digging out the rail tunnel that runs under the city centre to allow container traffic through.

I've put the idea forward to tt and tollers of a Tour d'New Forest to make a long day or pleasant weekend of it, but this is probably too much of a commitment for most.

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
hmmm Bollo, bit of lateral thinking...

Would your OH fancy joining you on the train up to London and spend the day sightseeing and around the shops etc? Don't know if that's her thing? If there are small children then that's probably too difficult...

just an idea to get you on the ride!

As for access to Calshot.....i'm not too worried. I'd have to hire a track bike at Calshot, so would probably drive down. If anyone else was hiring and needed a lift down from central London, then i'd be more than happy to offer the passenger seat, or the tiny kiddie seats in the rear.

Tollers

CotterPin

Been away from computers the last couple of days so only just catching up now. Sunday 13th December at 9.15 at HPC. Look forward to meeting you guys. And a bit of (pretend!) racing.

redjedi

Über Member
I went up to Hillingdon this afternoon, which was my first proper ride in nearly six weeks :hungry:

It's quite a nice circuit, good surface and a lap is just under a mile long. There was no-one there when I got there except for a jogger, a couple of dog walkers and a man teaching his 2 kids to ride bikes, one had stabilisers.

There's a long straight, a couple of sweeping corners and 2 small hills. Nothing serious but if you stay in a high gear you need to stand up for a minute to keep your speed up.

Quite a nice place for some easy training.

I did half a dozen laps (scalped the girl with stabilisers a couple of times :bravo: ) but it was getting a bit cold and my toes were freezing. The shoes I wore all through the summer are a bit breezy at this time of year.
When did it get so cold? Last time I rode a bike I wore shorts, and a s/s jersey. Today I needed a long baselayer and jersey and still had to stop to put my windproof on :bicycle:
The shorts was a bit of a mistake though, my knees were freezing and sore afterwards.

Some more winter gear is called for.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
That little downhill right-hander can get quite exciting at speed. I nearly stacked it once or twice when pedalling a bit untidily through there (you get pedal steer on a bent, and it's magnified at high angles of lean). I soon learnt to be a little smoother, LOL!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
HI TT,
just checked with 'er inddors re 13th... we have family din dins planned that day so no can do.. sorry will have to sit this one out.

Top Bottom