Any Theologians out there?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I once asked a vicar, if God smites his enemies, and uses natural disasters and plagues to punish sinners and non-believers, what does it say about his faith, given the church has a lightning conductor?

He just smiled and waffled a bit.
A church near where i lived as a student, wood green area north london, was actually struck by lightning. Totally gutted.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Totally gutted.

You or the church?

Going down to Rosedale, take my rider by my side
Going down to Rosedale, take my rider by my side
We can still barrelhouse baby, on the riverside

Robert Johnson, famously interpreted by Cream (Wheels of Fire, live album).

Got an earworm now.
Oh yes indeed. One of the really great tracks. Followed by Spoonful.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Oh yes indeed. One of the really great tracks. Followed by Spoonful.

The solo sections of Crossroads are for me just about the peak of blues guitar playing (for players who stick to blues/pentatonic scales). Spoonful is great, but if I put the Wheels of Fire live album on in the car, it's Ginger Baker's Toad that gets the replays. Total genius.

Here you are. Not from the Wheels of Fire album, but still knocks spots off what most bands can put out today.
Jack Bruce on vocals is superb, and as for musicianship...has there ever been better?
I have it in the car, and it seldom gets away with just two repeats!!!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=PE9HvSdcaL4

That's the one. Not to forget Jack Bruce and Traintime - blues harp as it should be done. Come to think of it, it's one of the very few albums I possess that doesn't have a single weak track.

Soundtrack of my youth.

Come to think of it, it's one of the very few albums I possess that doesn't have a single weak track.
The studio album is good, very good, but totally eclipsed by the live session.
Those three had their personal and artistic differences, but boy oh boy could they make good music.

Must admit that when I listen to Crossroads I hardly hear Clapton and his Slowhand guitar. All I hear is Jack Bruce's bass. As good as there has ever been?

Last edited:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Those three had their personal and artistic differences
A (muso) friend told me that (the notoriously nasty) Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce had such a bad falling out that they had no contact whatsoever for years, until Bruce, shortly before dying of cancer, rang Baker and said 'Ginger? This is Jack. Yes, I'm dying, very soon, but I didn't want to go without telling you that you are a DAFFODIL!' And put the phone down.

I suppose you could call that a difference. :whistle: ^_^

A (muso) friend told me that (the notoriously nasty) Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce had such a bad falling out that they had no contact whatsoever for years, until Bruce, shortly before dying of cancer, rang Baker and said 'Ginger? This is Jack. Yes, I'm dying, very soon, but I didn't want to go without telling you that you are a DAFFODIL!' And put the phone down.

I suppose you could call that a difference. :whistle: ^_^
Yes, that story is well known. The falling out goes back to when they were in Graham Bond's setup, but no-one is quite sure why it started.

RichardB

Slightly retro
The studio album is good, very good, but totally eclipsed by the live session.
Those three had their personal and artistic differences, but boy oh boy could they make good music.

Must admit that when I listen to Crossroads I hardly hear Clapton and his Slowhand guitar. All I hear is Jack Bruce's bass. As good as there has ever been?

The guitar. And the bass. And the drums. Can't separate them, really. But the way Clapton builds the tension over two solo verses is totally amazing, and I don't think I have heard rock guitar played better.

The guitar. And the bass. And the drums. Can't separate them, really. But the way Clapton builds the tension over two solo verses is totally amazing, and I don't think I have heard rock guitar played better.
I've been out driving this afternoon. I put on the album in the car.
I just couldn't resist replaying Crossroads then Spoonful. Just superb. The three of them knit together so well. It's arguable that a studio recording would never, ever get anywhere near the brilliance (if thats not saying too much) of the live performance.
As you say, rock or blues or whatever label you want to give it, can never have been played better.

Top Bottom