Any tips for organising a Street Party

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
ttcycle said:
What a wonderful idea!

I read somewhere one of the weekend broadsheets that street parties used to be a spontaneous get together but especially in London there's problems with red tape and health and safety - try and contact the council (Lambeth I asssume?) and the police as early as you get a date - there was mention that it may cost for the street to have a party and to meet all the health and safety regulations - i hope this isn't the case as it seems ridiculous.

Good luck with the planning - if only my street was as sociable...yes I know I should organise one myself!!

Oh, there's a thought. Does a street party come under the rules on demos and gatherings? I mean, jelly in the hands of a terrorist, could be nasty...

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
We did ours this year as part of the Eden projects 'Big Lunch' campaign. I think they're going to be doing it again next year and have lots of tips on how to make it work.

http://www.edenproject.com/our-work/people/big-lunch/index.php

Was a big success in our street with over 70 people turning up including friends and family of residents who vowed to try and make it happen in their streets next time.

Tug of war was good with one side of the road taking on the other side. Not sure if it was good for street harmony as the other side keeps muttering about wanting a re-match for revenge. Lightweights.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Tim (and others) what's the line on friends and family? I can see this being a problem.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
We said more the merrier as long as they really want to 'join in'. Seems pointless all getting together just to have a series of separate 'private' parties. But it all worked well.

Arch

Married to Night Train
dellzeqq said:
Tim (and others) what's the line on friends and family? I can see this being a problem.

I'd have thought you could specifiy no more than x non-resident guests per household - only you will know if your street fellows will need to be ruled, or whether they can self govern.

Top Bottom