Any tips for track cycling??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
Dont stop pedalling!!

And despite how it may come across, it isnt meant as a flipant comment

screenman

Legendary Member
Dont stop pedalling!!

And despite how it may come across, it isnt meant as a flipant comment

Been there and done that, a true sensation of flying whilst having enough time in the air to realise that the landing is going to hurt.

If it's run anything like the taster sessions at Manchester Velodrome just listen the the coach, take your time show some competence and ride into the session at your own pace.

Don't be tempted to ride faster than you are comfortable with, until you are confident to do so.

IME it only takes a couple of laps to get used to the bankings and you're away.

and above all else, as Alan says, DON'T STOP FECKIN' PEDDLING :tongue:

The building blocks are going to be good technique, good discipline and good observation. You'll get most out of the sessions by concentrating on the purpose of the drills - don't be drawn in to trying to go as fast as you can. This is especially true when you start working on group riding. At this point being smooth and confident on the track allows you to keep drills working properly for longer and learn more from the riders around you. At this stage being competitive is counter-productive. Learning how to ride with weaker and stronger riders will give you far more experience to draw on when you need to work on fitness and racing later.

AlanW

Guru
It also going without saying, always look over your shoulder, before you move up the track and never undertake anyone unless you have been instructed to do so as part of the exercise, unless your racing of course.

When you are following a wheel, always try and stay to the right of that wheel, so if you do have to avoid a collision then you are heading upwards which will slow you down much quicker. If you go the other way and head downwards, then sadly there is only one other option available, how far can you last till you land on yer arse!!

colly

Re member eR
I found I had a tendency to 'drift' downwards on the banking. Not much but I was forever correcting to get back on line.
I found that by kind of 'aiming' for the track about 6m in front just above the line I was on kept me on the right line.

I'm so scared at not being able to keep my legs going for some reason and bringing myself off.

I've sprinted on turbo trainers before on fixed bikes, even beating a cycle club member on my first try, I knew I could go faster but held back a bit to ensure I wasn't going to go faster than I could keep my legs moving.

any advice on how to not suddenly end up stopping my legs?

any advice on how to not suddenly end up stopping my legs?
Easy, see post #2 :biggrin:

Seriously though, you don't have to keep going full tilt for a solid hour. Once the coach gives you the nod you can ride as hard or as easy as you like.

If you want to give it the beans head high and go for it.

When your legs start to cry check your shoulder, move down and have a rest.

You can even stop completely and have a drink.

It's the velodrome, not Auschwitz. I know what you mean though, I had a 1000 questions before I first went, but it's a great, friendly laid back atmosphere, and the coach will make sure you're happy with everything as you go along.

Give it a whirl, it's an absolute blast.

Anyone know what the lead time is at the moment to get on Manchester at the weekends?

Noodley

And always look at the line you are going to follow (whether it's a painted line or imaginary), not where you don't want to go...look 5 or so yards in front of you on the line you want to take. The part about keeping your legs going is easy, just go at your own pace. As others have said always look over your shoulder, head upwards to avoid others. There will be plenty of encouragement and support, and nobody will expect you to do anything more than listen and learn.

Paul_L

Über Member
you'll be surprised how effective the pedals can be both as a brake and an accelerator. Once you're at a steady pace, apply a bit more pressure and you'll accelerate pretty well. Do this as you enter the banking and you'll be fine. If you're going full tilt and want to slow down, DON'T STOP OR BACK PEDAL but gently ease off the pressure on the pedals and you'll quickly loose speed. ALWAYS do shoulder checks whenever you change lines, whether that be up or down.

Most important rule is listen to the coach. They are very friendly.

Second most important rule is enjoy yourself.

It's great fun.

I did the trackstart course at Calshot in November and it was great fun, you won't be riding in a group until you do stage 2. I'm assuming you're doing the first stage?
If so you'll start by getting the right size bike, they have a lot, all Dolan's, and shoes and just starting to get to grips with setting off, all done in the infield section. Then when you've done a few laps of the infield and got the hang of starting and stopping you'll get to go around the blue inner section of the rack proper. The coach makes sure you're keeping your distance from the guy in front. Then you graduate to riding laps between the red and lack lines, but with only one rider on the tarck at any one time. There were about 12 or so riders when I went I think, so you don't get much time on track in this phase. Then you're told to get back in the infield and someone else has a go. Depending upon numbers of riders and how they progress you may make it to the blue line. We didn't and spent a lot of time (too much in my opinion) just fannying around in the middle. However it was still enjoyable and has made me want to move on to stage 2 anyway.

andrewsk

Had my first Taster at the Manchester velodrome yesterday. Great fun. Was a bit nervous getting on the bike and holding onto the rail before setting off... but once you get going, it's great fun. Really enjoyable hour. Stopped a few times for a drink - no bottle cages on the track bikes!! Plan to go again and am thinking about becoming accredited.

Coaches are great; was mixed ability amongst other riders - some been before and set off at a cracking pace, others, like me, track virgins. Main bit of advice - give it a go!

Paul_L

Über Member
Had my first Taster at the Manchester velodrome yesterday. Great fun. Was a bit nervous getting on the bike and holding onto the rail before setting off... but once you get going, it's great fun. Really enjoyable hour. Stopped a few times for a drink - no bottle cages on the track bikes!! Plan to go again and am thinking about becoming accredited.

Coaches are great; was mixed ability amongst other riders - some been before and set off at a cracking pace, others, like me, track virgins. Main bit of advice - give it a go!

Was that the 2pm session? I was on that. I was one of the riders who'd been before so went straight on the track whilst you had your coach's briefing. I was wearing the red and yellow retro Raleigh top. I'm working my way through the accreditation process and just wanted to get some track time. Glad you enjoyed it. It can be quite addictive!

andrewsk

Was that the 2pm session? I was on that. I was one of the riders who'd been before so went straight on the track whilst you had your coach's briefing. I was wearing the red and yellow retro Raleigh top. I'm working my way through the accreditation process and just wanted to get some track time. Glad you enjoyed it. It can be quite addictive!

Yep, was the 2pm. And my 9 year old daughter had a go at 3pm in the kids' session. She loved it and wants to go again as well!

Top Bottom