Any tips much appreciated.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Right think I need to set myself a training schedule and stick to it regardless of the weather conditions. I need to sort some decent all weather gear first. I am already thinking about a spin class. I am not sure I'm physically fit enough for it though.

Never too unfit for it pal. Maybe don't chuck yourself in at the deep end as I originally suggested but definitely go for it. Worth bearing in mind that you have total control over the resistance you apply so you can build up gradually as you get used to the bike and the effort.

Free your mind and your legs will follow!

OP
OP
Powely

Powely

I'm going to check if there's different levels of spin classes in my local gym. Try the beginners one first. I should be able to do that....I think?

AndyRM

XOXO
There may be. My advice would be to not worry too much as if you are riding the distances you already mentioned, you'll have no problem with spinning.

Also if you have a pair of SPD shoes it could be worth taking them along as you can often clip in to spin bikes.

not sure what benefit spin classes will be to you at the moment - I would just concentrate on getting some long, steady-state rides in. Build up your base fitness and aerobic endurance on a real bicycle first - don't waste your time (and money) in the gym...

AndyRM

XOXO
not sure what benefit spin classes will be to you at the moment - I would just concentrate on getting some long, steady-state rides in. Build up your base fitness and aerobic endurance on a real bicycle first - don't waste your time (and money) in the gym...

This is totally true. Only suggested spinning originally as an alternative to the tedium of a turbo. Should have said that real cycling is the best training!

Nebulous

Guru
I'd agree that building up your mileage and time on the bike is best at this point. What stops you doing more than 15-20 miles? Try to work out what that is and address it. You can take a break as well you know. I went from practically no exercise to cycling regularly and built up to 30 miles. I would do 15 miles out, then stop and have a banana and a drink before doing 15 miles back.

lulubel

Über Member
For a short time I used a cross trainer regularly. I was amazed at the difference it made to my fitness levels, and the beneficial effect it had on my cycling.

Same here. It helps with upper body strength, which is useful for climbing on the bike. It also helps with core strength if you use it with no hands! (Can you tell I found it boring?)

Mountain biking is a more interesting way of building upper body and core strength at the same time.

So, I've clocked up approximately 130/140 miles on the bike and it's getting a little easier. I've gone from 10-12 mile average to 15-20. Not much I know but it's improvement. However, I need to get up to 80 miles a day and be able to do that kind of mileage for 4 consecutive days. Any training tips for upping my mileage?

I'm considering buying a turbo trainer for the miserable days when it's wet out, but I've borrowed one from a friend and whilst it's great I don't know how many miles/speed I'm doing on it. Is there anyway around this? Is it a simple as moving the wireless sensor of my speedo to the back wheel? Or will this not work? Is there a reason why they are normally fitted to the front wheel?

Also I'm getting a little pain in the front of my right knee after 15 miles. It isn't sore after the ride just as I'm riding. I am assuming I've got the geometry of the bike set up slightly wrong. Anyone got any possible solutions to try?

Thanks,

Al

Q1: Upping the mileage. As other have said, just do a little more every so often and once you're used to that distance stretch it again. 80 a day for 4 days does not mean you need to be training over 80 miles. In fact, you'll only need to have done a few rides of 80 miles beforehand. most of your training can be done in home-to-home loops of anywhere bewtween 15 and 40 miles. Have different 'loops' prepared, over roads you enjoy and with a variety of hills and scenery.

As you start t feel ready for an 80-mile ride (which can be many months from now) take it easy, take lots of water and something like flapjack or fig rolls. Riding 50 miles is different and you need to have a feeling for how much you'll need to drink, eat and so on.

Q2: Turbo. Already answered by others. My elder boy uses an old turbo. It has advantages (he too is allergic to wet roads) ut it can be terribly dull. Put training plans together - intervals and the like. There are billions online. Something like: Warm up then sprint hard 30 seconds, spin gently 150 seconds repeated ten times - then warm down. Sounds easy. It will amost kill you.

Q3: Set-up. There are so many variables that I'm reluctant to advise. In my (limited) experience, knee pain is more often a function of shoe/cleat/pedal issues than of saddle/handlebar/stem set-up. Again, there are billions of set-up videos on Youtube.

I do saddle height, then saddle forward/backward then bars and stem. My saddle is slightly lower in the nose, but to each their own.

Make sure your cleats are where they ought to be and that they are straight. Also, make sure your pedals are straight. it is possible to bend one in an accident and not realise you've done so. After 240 miles in 4 days a sore knee will piss you off.

Main advice for that sort of riding: Think about cadence. Cadence, cadence and cadence. Find a happy cadence and try wherever possible to ride at that pedal speed. Most people like to be around the 90 mark. I like 95-ish. If you find you can ride smoothly and economically at 90+, then the miles will just fall off your trip.

Other main advice: Are you planning to ride with luggage? If so, in the months before you leave, start riding with the luggage on. Heavy panniers totally change the way a bike rides. You will be in different gears, it will swing differently when you're out of the saddle and it will brake differently. Train without luggage, but do get used to the feel of that extra weight over a few rides.

Sorry for the essay. Have fun!

OP
OP
Powely

Powely

Thanks for all the tips. It's much appreciated. I upped my miles to 30 yesterday, and it felt a fairly 'comfortable' distance. I hit a bit of a wall at 22 miles but cycled though it and managed to get to 30 (2 final miles going around the block a few times seeing as I was so close to a nice round figure). Still a bit of pain in the knee, but I'm using trainers and pedal with toe clips at the moment (until I find the right shoes/pedals I want to invest in) so it could be that? I've just adjusted my seat slightly so maybe that may help anyway.

Cadence isn't something I can measure at this point but I'll have to invest in some for of meter soon I think.

I'm quite pleased that I've managed to go from 12 miles to 30 in a couple of weeks. Still a way to go but it seems to be going in the right direction and it's getting easier. And I'm really enjoying it, to the point were I have to resist going out on rest days.

Thankfully the luggage is being transport by the event organisers, so just a spare inter-tube and some tools in a saddle bag, water bottles and a full jersey is all I'll have to carry.

Thanks once again for help....I still very much need it.

Sandra6

Veteran
I would try some off-bike training, maybe in the gym. Use a cross trainer, have a go at a spin class and see if it suits you, also use some resistance weight training for your legs - even swimming can help build up strength.
A good cycle computer will measure your cadence, speed etc and help you set new goals too.

Top Bottom