Any 'Trainer Road' users within?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Started intermediate base plan. First session was Gayley http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/103252 and i am hapy to say it was tougher than i thought it was going to be. I found the 8 minute test quite easy. Though this means that their system has worked as they upped the FTP from 200 to 238 and the difference is quite noticeable! I was certainly aware that my legs were being used!!!
:heat:

Enjoying TR so far. See what like after 6 week plan and report back.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Okay software downloaded and USB gotten. Here is my first session.

http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/101561

It's the 8 minutes test (hour session). Just rode it the way it said on the screen. Enjoyed it.

Will take a bit of sussing out what all the info means. Any tips T.M.H.N.E.T??

My FTP was set for me at 238 so will just go with that for now. On my profile page my FTP/kg says 3.12. I am pretty sure with a more intense workout and near 100% effort this will be closer to 3.5 to 4.0 FTP/kg.

I am pretty sure with the right frame of mind one could stay in good shape through winter, with this program, and be in good stead for 2013.

Yes you could but I would advise to limit the amount of time you spend smashing yourself to bits on the turbo if you are planning to race next year, unless you plan to peak for February and on burning out just as the season is getting into full swing! Get your head around eating those steady base miles!

Some intensity is good to keep things interesting and maintain a turn of pace (and for enjoyment), but try not to do too much. Form doesn't last forever and you can not maintain peak fitness indefinitely so you will want to time your peak's for your target events.

Yes you could but I would advise to limit the amount of time you spend smashing yourself to bits on the turbo if you are planning to race next year, unless you plan to peak for February and on burning out just as the season is getting into full swing! Get your head around eating those steady base miles!

Some intensity is good to keep things interesting and maintain a turn of pace (and for enjoyment), but try not to do too much. Form doesn't last forever and you can not maintain peak fitness indefinitely so you will want to time your peak's for your target events.
Hi Robert, thanks for the feedback.

The plan as it stands is to complete the 6 week, 3 times a week (3.5hours p/w) schedule. These will be relatively intense sessions. I am still managing to fit in one decent sized ride at the weekend. Of late this ride has been 40-50 miles of climbing. Usually 3500-4000ft approx. Also have the club run on Thursday night.
The idea with the intense trainer sessions is to push myself to increase power,LT, and marginally i am sure, vo2 max. There are other benefits also.
I will then take a break from the sessions after 6 weeks to a assess my progress, and more importantly, not over do it.
It is more a winter training program as opposed to an all year round program.
Also with the dark nights it's harder to ride after work without having to faff about with lights and sometimes it just isn't possible due to the weather.
I think this kind of training in moderation can continue improvement when you need to push through a ceiling. I am very conscious of overdoing it though so appreciate your thoughts.

How are you guys getting on with the program? Very interested to hear thoughts......

I have a few workouts left of intermediate base 1. I have found it quite rewarding and, in terms of performance, have found an increase in power and the rate at which i clear lactate.
I have also been putting in 1 or 2 rides out on the cx bike at weekends. I approximate my TSS will be in the region of 350-400/wk, depending on the week in question. This is easily managable with little risk of over reaching.

I think the plan is to go straight in to 'Intermediate base 2' for another 6 weeks then take it from there.

What impresses me so much with the program is the clarity with which you can train. There is no guessing or fluctuations with which several hours on the road might give you. You know what the targets are and you know what areas you are working. It also highlights your weaknesses. I found the high cadence drills hard to begin with but now, nearing the end of the training block, i can easily maintain 100+ rpm and more importantly find my "normal cadence" to have moved from 80 to 90 rpm. Doing workouts at 120-130rpm really brings up your normal cadence fast!

It has helped me realise that winter training can be far more goal orientated than just riding the bike and hoping for improvement. You can increase specific areas by adding short intense workouts, that are specific to your goals, to your normal schedule.

Between road riding, work,exams,funerals,christmas and whatever else life threw at me I really haven't bothered lately tbh.
Sounds a bit hectic mate. I have a 9 month old boy and the weather has been questionable at times, so TBH the turbo sessions have sometimes replaced road riding. I find 60-90 minutes on the turbo far more productive in terms of fast improvement. The turbo is more akin to riding a fixed gear bike for similar duration.

Have been reading Brad Wiggins book and he mentioned that some flat races they have a TSS of around 100 because they sit in the peloton and do very little until the last 20k. He said his coaches figured out in 2010 (SKY) that road racing was an inferior way to get race fit due to the amount of "free riding" and "coasting" involved. He said he decided to not race several events as they would infringe in his training. His coaches actually feared him losing fitness during some of the tours.

Anyway hope you get the bug back. It's just not any fun when you it's not quite there.

Haha I'm reading The Secret Race (Tyler Hamilton) atm but I'm not considering magic vitamins or padlocked boxes in the fridge :biggrin:
Haha, trainerroad is the cheaper alternative anyway. That book is on my list, though will be a very different read i would think.

Completed the first 6 week block. Enjoyed it. Got easier as i went through it.

Re-sat the 8 minute test as per "Intermediate base 2" and have been re-evaluated at......

FTP-283 and LTHR at 145.

Previously:

FTP-232 and LTHR at 140

I just know the new FTP is going to suck big style when it comes to some of the 90 min workouts. :heat:
Happy at the overall gain though. It does seem that focusing your efforts to specific areas is a fast way to improve weaknesses.

Todays 8 minute test:

http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/141499

Apt that it fell on the last day of 2012.

OP
OP
T.M.H.N.E.T

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I rode Fiesta Island Fun earlier. It's a nice ride just to watch the scenery but it's a novice one so nothing particularly hard in it. 40odd mins of intervals with none over 180W, didn't really bother my HR either which was surprising given I'm on the last stages of manflu (deadly!)

Have Bicicleta Perfecta and Spin around Madrid to do too. For the price I'm well impressed, just need TR to add the rest of their rides.

I've had a bug too and am now at the stage where anything i eat just shoots out the out the other end. Surprisingly enough though this is far preferable to the two previous days where my head was thumping and felt like my whole body hurt. I bloody hate being ill. Really want to go out on the bike as i am still on holiday. Typical!

I'll take a look at these then mate. Are they similar to Sufferfest or are they interactive?

Top Bottom