Any 'Trainer Road' users within?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T.M.H.N.E.T

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Can you confirm, the 20 min test is, a 20 min warm up, 3x 1 min spinning at 100 rpm with 1 min rest between, 5 min easy, a 5 min balls out effort, then a rest for 10 mins then a 20 min TT effort, then a cooldown of 10-15 mins?
Yes except,the last effort is 5mins with a ramp into the 20min test period. Cooldown is 10mins between 66 and 110W @my set FTP

Bugger. Send them an email, they try to accommodate.
Done already :smile: I have Bicicleta Perfecta to do in the meantime :biggrin: Ridefit impress me, despite their puny cost.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Ok, just did the test with my PM. Although I have a feeling my results will be skewed as I am pretty sure my saddle height has changed, either slipped or LBS modified it when pressing out my old BB (maybe lowered it so they could clamp the frame) in a workstand? We will see shortly.

OP
OP
T.M.H.N.E.T

T.M.H.N.E.T

Ok, just did the test with my PM. Although I have a feeling my results will be skewed as I am pretty sure my saddle height has changed, either slipped or LBS modified it when pressing out my old BB (maybe lowered it so they could clamp the frame) in a workstand? We will see shortly.
You registered on TR?

Just completed an hour session targeting Vo2 max on TR. Hanging in there by a very thin thread.

3 mins on with varying efforts between 310 to 345watts and then 3 minutes rest. Then repeat.

The text comes up "need a bucket?". xx(
I very nearly did. BRUTAL!!!!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
FTP = 279 W as tested using a Quarq power meter and the same Allen and Coggan method implemented in trainer road. As I said, my saddle seemed lower than I am used to, so possible error in this value (also don't think I went hard enough at the start of the 20 min effort). I will take this value for now. I do a 2x20 min session each week, so will keep a look out on the second 20 min's power and if the FTP value is way off, it will be obvious.

OP
OP
T.M.H.N.E.T

T.M.H.N.E.T

I've decided to FTP test tomorrow :laugh: and start on a more frequent training plan.

Need new tyres anyway :biggrin:

Now where is my vial of dihydrogen oxide

FTP = 279 W as tested using a Quarq power meter and the same Allen and Coggan method implemented in trainer road. As I said, my saddle seemed lower than I am used to, so possible error in this value (also don't think I went hard enough at the start of the 20 min effort). I will take this value for now. I do a 2x20 min session each week, so will keep a look out on the second 20 min's power and if the FTP value is way off, it will be obvious.

Good effort!

I would prefer to actually have a TT bike on the turbo but alas it's not to be just yet. With a normal road bike, going in to TT position restricts your breathing slightly and definitely reduces your power.

I like the idea of doing 20 minute sessions on a weekly basis. Seems a sure fire way to better your 10 mile TT performance. I am for now though going through the trainer road intermediate base 2 program. Before this i had several workouts to do but the one thing i noticed with TR is that every workout has a purpose. No time is wasted, i like that.

Pedro cast your eye on Advanced build 1. Screw this intermediate lark :laugh:

:laugh: I will get to that but i think i may wish to warm myself up to that kind of pain. I am hitting the odd workout just now (especially the 90 minute sessions) that kicks my ass sideways!! In fact this last one had me broken!!

I fancied doing two or three base plans before picking and choosing what workouts will squeeze the most out of me for spring/summer.

What's your plan?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Good effort!

I would prefer to actually have a TT bike on the turbo but alas it's not to be just yet. With a normal road bike, going in to TT position restricts your breathing slightly and definitely reduces your power.

I like the idea of doing 20 minute sessions on a weekly basis. Seems a sure fire way to better your 10 mile TT performance. I am for now though going through the trainer road intermediate base 2 program. Before this i had several workouts to do but the one thing i noticed with TR is that every workout has a purpose. No time is wasted, i like that.

I have a TT bike, but don't train on it as often as I should. I tend to train on my road bike, because it is convenient.

ATM I am training for 10 and 25 mile TT's (and long draggy hill climbs). 1st event will be in the 1st week of March (25 mile 2-up TTT).

My training is comprised of:

4x5 min intervals
Club interval session (done on a 0.5 mile circuit): Start with through and off to warm up, mixed small group and individual efforts then a mock 5 mile scratch race to finish up (we hold it together through and off style upping the pace for 1st 5 laps, then in the final 5 it is a free for all to the finish).
2x20 min intervals
3-4 hour endurance ride in the hills

I have a TT bike, but don't train on it as often as I should. I tend to train on my road bike, because it is convenient.

ATM I am training for 10 and 25 mile TT's. 1st event will be in the 1st week of March.

My training is comprised of:

4x5 min intervals
Club interval session (done on a 0.5 mile circuit): Start with through and off to warm up, mixed small group and individual efforts then a mock 5 mile scratch race to finish up (we hold it together through and off style upping the pace for 1st 5 laps, then in the final 5 it is a free for all to the finish).
2x20 min intervals
3-4 hour endurance ride in the hills
Sounds like good work to me.

Our club has a 10 mile TT circuit that is hilly and twisting. Makes for good training. I do that maybe once a month at the moment.
On top of the trainer road workouts (which make up 3.5 hours/week) i also do a 180 minutes of hill climbing. It's actually the same route i do (sometimes in reverse). It's called the 5 hills. It's essentially just under 4000ft of climbing which i tend to do a mixture of high and low cadence sessions.

All good work if you make it count. Beats the sh*t out of riding 10 hours a week on flat roads at 14mph (in a get faster/fitter sense).

I think i will add the 2x20min TT intervals every few weeks. That second interval will do wonders for LT and Vo2 max endurance. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
T.M.H.N.E.T

T.M.H.N.E.T

:laugh: I will get to that but i think i may wish to warm myself up to that kind of pain. I am hitting the odd workout just now (especially the 90 minute sessions) that kicks my ass sideways!! In fact this last one had me broken!!

I fancied doing two or three base plans before picking and choosing what workouts will squeeze the most out of me for spring/summer.

What's your plan?
Advanced 1 for now, may well head back towards triathlon which will change everything. Intend to race CX this year. So theres a fair amount to fit in, inc exams this month

Advanced 1 for now, may well head back towards triathlon which will change everything. Intend to race CX this year.
Our club does CX club runs. Only three or four of us attend but it is always so much fun. CX bikes can do far more than people realise!! You can also do off road instead of road bike riding if the weather is too cold or wet. Makes it more interesting.

I am away to look at advance build now.........

Top Bottom