Any 'Trainer Road' users within?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T.M.H.N.E.T

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I've had a bug too and am now at the stage where anything i eat just shoots out the out the other end. Surprisingly enough though this is far preferable to the two previous days where my head was thumping and felt like my whole body hurt. I bloody hate being ill. Really want to go out on the bike as i am still on holiday. Typical!

I'll take a look at these then mate. Are they similar to Sufferfest or are they interactive?
They're pretty much the same although IMO the ride fit scenery is nicer. Another bonus is you get 2 download links so you can get with or without music.

ziggys101

Über Member
You guys probably already know, but I only found out yesterday if you download the beta version you can edit the rides to suit or even create new ones from scratch.

Keenbfb

So I've just got myself a set of rollers and have found this thread it sounds an ideal way to change my roller sessions from just sitting there plodding on into something productive.

Can someone please confirm that all I'll need to go with the Garmin 800 (with both heart and cadence sensors ) is a ant+ usb stick to make this work for me, the rollers I have are profiled on the site so I just need to get the usb, join up and I can then start the pain.

So I've just got myself a set of rollers and have found this thread it sounds an ideal way to change my roller sessions from just sitting there plodding on into something productive.

Can someone please confirm that all I'll need to go with the Garmin 800 (with both heart and cadence sensors ) is a ant+ usb stick to make this work for me, the rollers I have are profiled on the site so I just need to get the usb, join up and I can then start the pain.
Yup though don't even need a Garmin 800. Just cadence and HR sensors. The usb stick will work from your computer/software and connect with the devices. There is a list of compatible turbos and rollers on the trainer road page.

What rollers did you get?

I am away to kick my own ass on Trainer road in about an hour. My FTP went up after the first 6 weeks and it has gone from a good workout to "utterly buggered" after 60 minutes. 90 minutes is ambulance time. :heat:

Worth it though......

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
If your FTP was right in the 1st place, then you would feel approx the same after each work out, since all intensities are based around this number, i.e. as you FTP goes up, workouts don't feel that much harder, because they are in relation to your current fitness. I would guess that if you have noticed a big jump, it is because the original value was way off.

I am not sure about the Trainer Road FTP test, it is not the same as the ones recommended by Allen and Coggan or those by Joe Friel all of which require at least a 20 minute TT effort on all variants. The trainer road version is a couple of hard intervals and then a pair of 8 minute efforts right?

OP
OP
T.M.H.N.E.T

T.M.H.N.E.T

If your FTP was right in the 1st place, then you would feel approx the same after each work out, since all intensities are based around this number, i.e. as you FTP goes up, workouts don't feel that much harder, because they are in relation to your current fitness. I would guess that if you have noticed a big jump, it is because the original value was way off.

I am not sure about the Trainer Road FTP test, it is not the same as the ones recommended by Allen and Coggan or those by Joe Friel all of which require at least a 20 minute TT effort on all variants. The trainer road version is a couple of hard intervals and then a pair of 8 minute efforts right?
In the 20 minute test ( the name being a clue) the test period is 20mins. The 8minute test has a pair of 8min segments. There is a 2x20 test too

:laugh:

The workouts list isn't available unless logged in so I can't link you to them

Attachments

• 20mintest.jpg
    20mintest.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 8min.jpg
    8min.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 52

Keenbfb

I went for the Tacx Antares Rollers rather than a turbo trainer as I wanted something quiet and easy to set up for different bikes. I can't comment on other makes as this is my first indoor training aid but so far I'm impressed, I'm knackered and pouring sweat after an hour on them so it must be doing my waistline some good, which for now is the main point of them but rather than just sitting there pounding away I'd like to use them to improve my fitness and endurance hence the interest in trainer road.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Can you confirm, the 20 min test is, a 20 min warm up, 3x 1 min spinning at 100 rpm with 1 min rest between, 5 min easy, a 5 min balls out effort, then a rest for 10 mins then a 20 min TT effort, then a cooldown of 10-15 mins?

OP
OP
T.M.H.N.E.T

T.M.H.N.E.T

Tip of the day: ride an FTP test first which will give you a value to set to default. LTHR is pretty pointless when you have virtual power to work off(but don't set LTHR to 0, it glitches out still I think), which should be reasonably consistent on rollers if your tyre pressures are the same each ride.

Yeh there are two tests. The first time i tested both i went under considerably. The most recent one i did give it 95% or TT pace. This set my current FTP to 283. My watts/kg is hovering around 4watts/kg just now so this seems about right. I am planning to go lighter as the season progresses in an effort to up this figure and ultimately climb faster.

Long term plan is to be able to TT for an hour with as much power as i am capable. 300w over 60 minutes is my first goal. Must have goals or get bloody bored. ;)

I went for the Tacx Antares Rollers rather than a turbo trainer as I wanted something quiet and easy to set up for different bikes. I can't comment on other makes as this is my first indoor training aid but so far I'm impressed, I'm knackered and pouring sweat after an hour on them so it must be doing my waistline some good, which for now is the main point of them but rather than just sitting there pounding away I'd like to use them to improve my fitness and endurance hence the interest in trainer road.
They are trainerroad approved so get started right away. Keep your eyes on the rollers though not the computer screen. :whistle:

Top Bottom