Any 'Trainer Road' users within?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@Andy_G

I think it depends on what training you are currently doing. If you are not doing anything overly specific then i would suggest you could see improvements reasonably fast. If you are already training with intervals and/or race pace efforts then it might not be so obvious in the short term.

The Novice competitor plan is very focussed on short intervals which would simulate a race. The goal will be to increase power, recover faster after big efforts and increase the amount of times you can go into the red and the duration. IMO the high volume one will be pretty hard work so it might be a nice change to try the weekend sessions outside. 2 hours plus on a turbo sounds like hell to me. I'd rather structure a few planned routes and ride them accordingly.

As the weeks progress the intervals become pretty brutal through the week so if you are still racing bear in mind that you will want to give at least a few days between these sessions and race day. Try and make sure to recover properly too, rest and nutrition.

Bottom line, there is no doubt in my mind that upon completing this plan you would see results. Again though, it will be bloody hard going. :thumbsup:

Brad123

Signed up last night and did the 20 minute test this morning
http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/577343-20-Minute-Test
Like the feedback as I am riding. Now have to find some workout to do.
Has anyone got any ideas. Looking at doing 10 mile TT and may be a race and just be a stronger rider next year

Last edited:

S1m0n

Good effort! Though I do think you probably went a little too easy if you managed 1 min at over 300 watts towards the end. You should have been on your knees and taking a really close cross-eyed view of your stem.

I think there is a bit of a gap in the base building end of the training plans for people who don't want to spend more than 1hr 15 at a time in the torture chamber.

I tend to pick and choose my workouts to suit what mood I'm in if I'm just in the off season like Slide Mountain and the harder (because of the 12min intervals rather than 10) Mount field.

They build programs are good and build generally 1hr to 1:15 long with longer weekend sessions which, as Pedrosanchezo does, I perform these in the fresh air.

If you are planing doing some time trials then there are specific plans for these. I've not tried them yet but will be this year as since I've just happened upon a Cervelo P2C, Time trials are what I will be doing in 2014.

Good luck

Brad123

Thanks, I started off a bit quicker. Then after 10 minute I back off a litte bit, as I started to feel my legs going. Some how got going for the last minute. Maybe should not have back off.
I thought my max HR was 180 but I sore hit 181 at the end of the 20 minute. WOW
Have be looking at this http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/plans/97-20-minute-power-accelerator-e3-training-solutions- think I going to do the 6 weeks and see how it goes
Question; After I did the test I found the back tyre was a bit soft. Normally ride at 110 psi found it at 86 psi would that have made the test a bit easer or not?

S1m0n

I think you should be doing some base before launching into the 20 minute power accelerator, it looks quite brutal. Perhaps work 6 weeks back from race date before starting.

110 to 86psi in a 1 hour turbo ride isn't right. A soft rear tyre will make thinks so much more difficult for you.

Leescfc79

Über Member
I stumbled across TR while looking at sufferfest videos in an attempt to make the turbo a bit more interesting, I've been cycling for about a year and have no particular plans apart from wanting to lose a bit of weight and to get fitter/faster. I thought $10 a month is cheaper than gym membership and as I'm not a massive fan of cycling in the rain I have just signed up and just completed the 8 minutes test.

I really enjoyed having the screen telling me what to do and having some structure to it rather than just plodding along as I did before. My FTP came in at 195 so think I'm going to follow the traditional base trianing plan and see what happens, I can tell I've had a workout too!

I stumbled across TR while looking at sufferfest videos in an attempt to make the turbo a bit more interesting, I've been cycling for about a year and have no particular plans apart from wanting to lose a bit of weight and to get fitter/faster. I thought $10 a month is cheaper than gym membership and as I'm not a massive fan of cycling in the rain I have just signed up and just completed the 8 minutes test.

I really enjoyed having the screen telling me what to do and having some structure to it rather than just plodding along as I did before. My FTP came in at 195 so think I'm going to follow the traditional base trianing plan and see what happens, I can tell I've had a workout too!
Do a base plan and then retest afterward. The test always comes up slightly low to begin with as you don't realise just how much you can or should push it. After a 6-8 week plan you will know much more about TR and your body. Good luck. Keep us all posted.

Brad123

I think you should be doing some base before launching into the 20 minute power accelerator, it looks quite brutal. Perhaps work 6 weeks back from race date before starting.

110 to 86psi in a 1 hour turbo ride isn't right. A soft rear tyre will make thinks so much more difficult for you.

I forgot to check the tyre befor I started only after wards I checked it and it was at 86psi. Have deleted the 20 minute test I did just was not happy with it because of the tyre pressure.
Thanks for the advice on 20 minute power but have done the first week going to stick with it and see how it goes.

Brad123

Had a good ride this morning. Sweat running of me and frost on the shed roof (yes I was out side under the awnind). Wife thought I was made. Did the mount of Hope

Andy_G

When doing the TR workouts it says for arguments sake 90 power, should you do what it says or go with what your comfortable with, only because the power never seems high enough.

When doing the TR workouts it says for arguments sake 90 power, should you do what it says or go with what your comfortable with, only because the power never seems high enough.
Yeh do the 20 minute test. Make sure and pace yourself but you should finish the 20 minute effort (60 minutes full session) completely buggered!!

It also depends on the sessions you are doing. I could do some of the interval sessions at 15-20% higher than my FTP. I couldn't say the same for some of the TT specific sessions. Depends on the rider and their strengths. You can also adjust the session to your needs by adding 5% upwards to the intensity level.

I've created my own workouts now and find these are more tailored to my needs. Well worth a look at the creator app should this appeal to you.

Brad123

Still going strong with the 20 minute power accelerator, into the 4 week. I am enjoying the program. Battle my way through Crag again last night. Find it dam hard. Just not enough rest ( it 6x4 at Threshold/Low-VO2max with 45sec rest) the first 3 is hard work but the next 3 just cant hold the mark. Drop off bye -4 to -10.

S1m0n

Could you send me link to your trainierroad workouts, I'd be interested to see how you're getting on with it. I'm still doing build workouts half on Trainerroad and half on the Wattbike at the gym. The wattages appear similarly calibrated, at least to my legs

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Still going strong with the 20 minute power accelerator, into the 4 week. I am enjoying the program. Battle my way through Crag again last night. Find it dam hard. Just not enough rest ( it 6x4 at Threshold/Low-VO2max with 45sec rest) the first 3 is hard work but the next 3 just cant hold the mark. Drop off bye -4 to -10.

This is to be expected, the 1st few you are fresh.

Andrew Coggan and Hunter Allen propose a system for determining when to abandon an inteveral session (or how to decide how many reps to do, in a more positive sense) and the baseline they suggest you use is the power in the 3rd interval (which they deem as the repeatable interval). Then they propose you should stop when your power drops by a certain percentage of the power of this repeatable 3rd interval (the percentage varies depending on the duration and intensity of the interval, you would have to look up the table to get the correct values). In the case of a VO2 max interval (duration 3-5 mins) I think they propose a 8-10% drop in power from the 3rd interval is acceptable, any more and you are no longer training at the required intensity and should stop, you have done the optimal number of repeats.

Top Bottom