Any TV repair boffins about

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Got to discharge the aquadag!

Reminded me of the grease used on two motion selectors.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Tough one. I loathe throwing things out if they might not actually be terminal, but on the other hand it depends how much your time and need for a TV is worth to you! Biggest problem is finding what part(s) is at fault - if found then you could replace the part but would mean dismantling the TV and being able to solder etc. DIY is the only cost efficient way I think. If you take it even to a small privateer who fixes TVs, you might end up paying half of what a replacement would cost due to time spent diagnosing the fault, trying a few things before it's finally sorted etc. Even if you paid a grand for the TV 4 years ago, you could probably pick up the same spec and size for £400 today, so it's not what the TV was worth, it's what it will cost you to replace like for like.

By all means have a go at fixing it, if you're interested in how things work it could be fun, but I'd rather recycle old and buy new (and not necessarily better). I've seen cheap unbranded TVs last 10 years, and expensive Samsungs and Panasonics go wrong in 3 years, it's all a gamble I think

Tough one. I loathe throwing things out if they might not actually be terminal, but on the other hand it depends how much your time and need for a TV is worth to you! Biggest problem is finding what part(s) is at fault - if found then you could replace the part but would mean dismantling the TV and being able to solder etc. DIY is the only cost efficient way I think. If you take it even to a small privateer who fixes TVs, you might end up paying half of what a replacement would cost due to time spent diagnosing the fault, trying a few things before it's finally sorted etc. Even if you paid a grand for the TV 4 years ago, you could probably pick up the same spec and size for £400 today, so it's not what the TV was worth, it's what it will cost you to replace like for like.

By all means have a go at fixing it, if you're interested in how things work it could be fun, but I'd rather recycle old and buy new (and not necessarily better). I've seen cheap unbranded TVs last 10 years, and expensive Samsungs and Panasonics go wrong in 3 years, it's all a gamble I think

With modern multilayer circuit boards, component level repairs are often beyond the scope of a home repair. By the time you bought the equipment to do a decent job of it, and test equipment to track down the faulty component, you may as well get a new TV.

OP
OP
mark st1

mark st1

Plastic Manc

It's odd removed about 1lb of dust from the back wire mesh plugged it in last night it played away for 6 hours no problem. Turned it on this morning within 10 mins blank screen and normal sound.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
It's odd removed about 1lb of dust from the back wire mesh plugged it in last night it played away for 6 hours no problem. Turned it on this morning within 10 mins blank screen and normal sound.
Sounds like its overheating somewhere, can you remove the back case and do a deeper clean?

OP
OP
mark st1

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Sounds like its overheating somewhere, can you remove the back case and do a deeper clean?

Will start undoing the gazillion screws when I have the time to spare. When England are next playing maybe :rolleyes:

Leaway2

Lycrist
Here, it was called grease DAG if I recall correctly. I imagine the DAG had the same meaning.
Ah OK different. The aquadag was (is) the coating on the glass cathode ray tube. It was at about 15,000V B/W 25,000 colour. This held a charge which attracted the electron beam to the front of the tube. It was a big capacitor and held the charge for long time after it was disconnected.

Top Bottom