Any Watch geeks here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hicky

Guru
I bought myself a Citizen Ti ecodrive for a little bling and wear/forget factor, its quite slim too so doesn't stick out too much.
In the past I had a Sunnato for work but it was too bulky and in your face so I stuck to G10 for men CWC. I was offered a Regimental Bretling for £1800 less than rrp but it was far too bling.
Ms has a Tissot which is very bling but looks daft on her dainty wrists so she wears a Casio 9.99 jobbie most of the time.

Smudge

Veteran
Yes it is! On the other hand, 100's of watches have gone through my hands in the last 25 years and my watch box is now worth a fair few £k's but has cost me nothing, it's a very cheap hobby if you know what you are doing. I now have a 10 watch box full and just a Casio solar G-shock for holidays and Seiko for work.

You can't go wrong with Seiko automatics, it pains me to see somebody wearing a garbage fashion watch like D&G, Gucci, Hilfiger etc That may have cost £300 but has an intrinsic value of tuppence, when they could get a very good Seiko for the same, a watch that will last them a lifetime. If I was skint I'd buy a Seiko 5 for £90 and be happy.:okay:

I recently bought a watch for my youngest son, I couldn't stand to look at his NEXT one any longer. I had a good look and settled on a Seiko SNZH blue version. It has the bullet proof 7S36 movement, day/date wheels, smooth bezel action, nice hands and indices, good lume and a bracelet that is........ok. I think I paid about £130 for it, nitpicking, the bracelet doesn't have solid end links and the crown is non-screw down. It is astonishing value.:eek:

View attachment 476677

Yes, you can make money on many watches. I sold my 1st gen Seiko orange monster for twice what i paid for it. I also have a 2nd gen Seiko black monster and a Turtle, which would both sell for more than i paid, but i couldn't part with them. Even some of the more rare or limited edition G Shocks can fetch silly money with collectors.

MarkF

Guru
Yes, you can make money on many watches. I sold my 1st gen Seiko orange monster for twice what i paid for it. I also have a 2nd gen Seiko black monster and a Turtle, which would both sell for more than i paid, but i couldn't part with them. Even some of the more rare or limited edition G Shocks can fetch silly money with collectors.

I will get a Pepsi Turtle soon, been on my mind a while. I bought a Samurai last month for £200 from Ebay, on arrival l didn't like it, the crown dug in my hand. Put it straight back on sale & it went for £255!

I don't know much about digitals & sold a Seiko dual digital/analogue thing l had lying around for about £100. I had zero idea what it was.:sad:

https://www.fratellowatches.com/tbt-seiko-h558-arnie-diver-review/

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I will get a Pepsi Turtle soon, been on my mind a while. I bought a Samurai last month for £200 from Ebay, on arrival l didn't like it, the crown dug in my hand. Put it straight back on sale & it went for £255!

I don't know much about digitals & sold a Seiko dual digital/analogue thing l had lying around for about £100. I had zero idea what it was.:sad:

Walk softly, carry big stick ;)

https://thespringbar.com/blogs/guides/the-ray-mears-citizen

I reckon mine's doubled in value, and some. There's huge demand, and they are infinitely serviceable via a capacitor change. I just don't wear mine any more :sad:

southcoast

Über Member
Yes it is! On the other hand, 100's of watches have gone through my hands in the last 25 years and my watch box is now worth a fair few £k's but has cost me nothing, it's a very cheap hobby if you know what you are doing. I now have a 10 watch box full and just a Casio solar G-shock for holidays and Seiko for work.

You can't go wrong with Seiko automatics, it pains me to see somebody wearing a garbage fashion watch like D&G, Gucci, Hilfiger etc That may have cost £300 but has an intrinsic value of tuppence, when they could get a very good Seiko for the same, a watch that will last them a lifetime. If I was skint I'd buy a Seiko 5 for £90 and be happy.:okay:

I recently bought a watch for my youngest son, I couldn't stand to look at his NEXT one any longer. I had a good look and settled on a Seiko SNZH blue version. It has the bullet proof 7S36 movement, day/date wheels, smooth bezel action, nice hands and indices, good lume and a bracelet that is........ok. I think I paid about £130 for it, nitpicking, the bracelet doesn't have solid end links and the crown is non-screw down. It is astonishing value.:eek:

View attachment 476677

Yes I like Seiko watches, I have one of these that I purchased new in 1983.

6293FB86-8E2C-45D7-88C3-FB28000855F7.jpeg

Smudge

Veteran

Been tempted by a Samurai myself, especially the times i've seen them at a decent price. That Arnie diver is quite an iconic Seiko, i bet the buyer was well chuffed to get that for a ton.

I bought a Seiko in 1985, it cost me a months money at the time, I wore it every day without fail and it lasted 25 years before it finally gave up the ghost.

In 2010 I bought a Tissot to replace the Seiko, and again I wear it every day. This time, it only cost me a weeks wages !

I'd like to think that this one will last as long

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes I like Seiko watches, I have one of these that I purchased new in 1983.

View attachment 476683

I had a near identical one with a blue face. My ex wife had bought it for me, and I wanted shot so gave it to my oldest daughter.

MarkF

Guru
Been tempted by a Samurai myself, especially the times i've seen them at a decent price. That Arnie diver is quite an iconic Seiko, i bet the buyer was well chuffed to get that for a ton.

I had an original Samurai, the newer one is not as nice. I wore it for one day & the crown indent on my upper hand was visible for another day!

MarkF

Guru
I reckon mine's doubled in value, and some. There's huge demand, and they are infinitely serviceable via a capacitor change. I just don't wear mine any more :sad:

I was going to get a Pepsi SKX but a Turtle is a huge upgrade yet the cost (used & mint) is not. It'll be an auto for me, l am going to turn 1 road bike & 2 folders into 1 Turtle on EBay next week.^_^

Just taking this watch thread off at a bit of a tangent but is anybody else on here a "right wrist" wearer.

As long as I can remember if I ever tried to wear a watch on the conventional left wrist they would stop (winders or battery) but same watch would work perfectly on the right one.

Just taking this watch thread off at a bit of a tangent but is anybody else on here a "right wrist" wearer.

As long as I can remember if I ever tried to wear a watch on the conventional left wrist they would stop (winders or battery) but same watch would work perfectly on the right one.

Have you tried a watch built for right hand wear?l ie for left handed users.

Last edited:

stalagmike

Enormous member
I'd love a nice old Seiko but can't justify the spends. I've got a Russian mechanical divers watch by Vostok. It's never off my wrist. Loses a couple of minutes a month. It's got perspex 'glass' so if I scratch it, it just buffs out with the bit of brasso. The strap it came with was awful so I've swapped it out for a canvas one.

johnblack

Über Member
I have a couple of old Seikos, an Omega and a few others in various states of repair, but I bought a Garmin Fenix 5x last year and only ever take it off to charge it, maybe I'll tart to rotate again at some point.

Top Bottom