Any Watch geeks here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smudge

Veteran
I'd love a nice old Seiko but can't justify the spends. I've got a Russian mechanical divers watch by Vostok. It's never off my wrist. Loses a couple of minutes a month. It's got perspex 'glass' so if I scratch it, it just buffs out with the bit of brasso. The strap it came with was awful so I've swapped it out for a canvas one.

I like the Vostok watches, they're pretty cool in their utilitarian way.
Its another watch i've often thought about buying. I particularly like the Amphibian model with the scuba dude on the dial and the cushion case.

Just taking this watch thread off at a bit of a tangent but is anybody else on here a "right wrist" wearer.

I have always worn my watch on the right hand, even though I'm mainly right-handed, (I can play guitar with both left and right)

Nibor

Bewildered
Ah, a fellow Tudor man (gives the Masonic handshake).

That's interesting about case materials. My Traser has a carbon fibre (actually carbon aramid) case and is very light, but still waterproof, land mine resistant and all that.

Wasn't it Tissot who were making watches with wooden cases in the 90s?
They also did the rock watches

winjim

Smash the cistern
My late father's pocket watch, acquired by his grandfather from a first world war battlefield in Belgium, now passed down to our baby son.

IMG-20190516-WA0000.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
Have we done the "I don't own a tv" response yet?

What's a TV?

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Nice watch. Zenith must have the most bizarre range of any high end company. Watches for gentlemen, lottery winners and rappers, they went nuts about 10 years ago.
Agreed - I have a classic which pre-dates the madness, but they've calmed down somewhat now. That movement's a (the?) classic, and I'd always wanted one.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Yes it is! On the other hand, 100's of watches have gone through my hands in the last 25 years and my watch box is now worth a fair few £k's but has cost me nothing, it's a very cheap hobby if you know what you are doing. I now have a 10 watch box full and just a Casio solar G-shock for holidays and Seiko for work.

You can't go wrong with Seiko automatics, it pains me to see somebody wearing a garbage fashion watch like D&G, Gucci, Hilfiger etc That may have cost £300 but has an intrinsic value of tuppence, when they could get a very good Seiko for the same, a watch that will last them a lifetime. If I was skint I'd buy a Seiko 5 for £90 and be happy.:okay:

I recently bought a watch for my youngest son, I couldn't stand to look at his NEXT one any longer. I had a good look and settled on a Seiko SNZH blue version. It has the bullet proof 7S36 movement, day/date wheels, smooth bezel action, nice hands and indices, good lume and a bracelet that is........ok. I think I paid about £130 for it, nitpicking, the bracelet doesn't have solid end links and the crown is non-screw down. It is astonishing value.:eek:

View attachment 476677

Lovely Wife has a very nice Breitling that cost a small fortune. One of her works colleagues' husband bought her a Gucci for Xmas and, without a trace of irony. she held it up to compare with my wife's Breitling and said "you ought to treat yourself to a nice watch". :wacko:

Top Bottom