Any Watch geeks here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Good morning,

I have a Tudor Black Shield, View attachment 476656 it was one of the first watches with a completely ceramic case, I do sort of fancy an Omega Grey Side Of The Moon but it is too expensive. :-(

This is kept on whilst riding or in the gym and if it cracks so be it.

I am disappointed by it in the sense that it doesn't give the same feeling as an expensive suit and the market is fairly short of interesting watches with stopwatches so when it breaks I will probably go back to a Seiko.

The other downside to Tudor is that after I bought the watch they started using David Beckham and Lady Gaga to advertise the brand.

Despite this the Black Bay Bronze looks brilliant in the flesh and the North Flag looks great some days and a mismatch of parts another day

https://www.tudorwatch.com/watches/black-bay-bronze/m79250ba-0001
https://www.tudorwatch.com/watches/north-flag/m91210n-0001

I am in love with Spring Drive, a spring moves the hands, powers a quartz reference oscillator and a magnetic brake, it is immense technical overkill and all the better for it.

Bye

Ian

Ah, a fellow Tudor man (gives the Masonic handshake).

That's interesting about case materials. My Traser has a carbon fibre (actually carbon aramid) case and is very light, but still waterproof, land mine resistant and all that.

Wasn't it Tissot who were making watches with wooden cases in the 90s?

Here are just a few of my mechanical watches.
Ancre . My dads old watch.
Bullova President, rolled gold.
Corvette.
Gradus.
Hefik, 9ct gold case. It was presented to a chap in Birmingham for 25 years service. I find it interesting to learn about the social history.
Imperios, very loud ticking.
Juvenia chronograph.
Louifrey.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
20170302_080848.jpg

When my Swatch died in a pool incident I was looking around for something metal, slim waterproof, scratch resistant crystal that looked good on my slim wrist. I zeroed in on Certina DS quartz. After 25 years I replaced the standard ETA movement and had the silver hands changed to black with red second, so I can see them now. The sapphire crystal is unmarked.

IMG_20190723_092350.jpg
It is easy to wear for sports, work and dress up. They don't make watches this slim anymore, esp 100m waterproof.

IMG_20190723_151501.jpg

I have a military field style Pulsar for workshop and gardening if I need it.

Attachments

• IMG_20190723_151501.jpg
    IMG_20190723_151501.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Hi.

Back to Casio watches, i really find my Casio compass watch really useful whilst cycling. Here in Wales there's many single track roads and remote tracks to explore and my sense of direction is not the best. The electronic compass on my watch has come in really handy on numerous occasions in getting me going in the right direction. :=)

I've used that on forest trails with my ProTrek. Also in Spain a couple of years ago, when our mountain guide proudly proclaimed we were now exactly 1000m high, I pedantically piped up "Actually, we're only 920m high" <smug git smiley>

I'm wearing that watch most nowadays because 1) The time and date are always correct (radio controlled) and 2) It's the easiest to read at a glance.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I remember years ago when i was young and stupid (still am the stupid ) and we were holidaying in Tenerife. A group of four of us went and we were barely in our twentys. One evening we went out for a meal and had consumed many banana and ron miel drinks and were feeling a little light headed. Back at the hotel we settled down to watch some live music when this huge African guy came walking round the tables selling all kinds of watches and jewelry.

Things seem to sparkle more after a few drinks and we all ended up buying something off him. After alot of bartering i ended up with a Tag Heur watch that could resist water for 100s of metres. The ex sported some amazing gold necklaces and the other couple too ended up sporting some amazing bargains. The next day we walking round the resort sporting our new ill gains. My mate didn't look short of looking like MrT.
We looked a right bunch of wally,s:=)) thinking back on it.
A few days later the inevitable happened. We got caught in a heavy rain shower and my Tag watch steamed up and let water in like a sieve. The jewellery the ladies bought turned a lovely shade of green as well as my mates. Ha, you live and learn %=)
These people are still around just that now they advertise on local sales sites, bit like Gumtree offering "quality affordable Swiss made watches" and all for £30, yeah right.
Check this out on Tonaton.com: New Quality Patek Philip Gold Watch http://tonaton.com/en/ad/new-quality-patek-philip-gold-watch-for-sale-accra-5

Smudge

Veteran
Next G Shock i want is a Rangeman, not the latest £800 jobby, but the previous GW9400. Has all the triple sensors of a Protrek, in a tough G Shock. Plus solar and atomic.

G-Shock_Rangeman_GW-9400J-1ER__23446.1465668484.jpg

MarkF

Guru
I'm a bit of a watch geek, although i dont buy really expensive watches.
I have an interest in Seiko automatic divers watches. Plus Casio Protreks, G Shocks and Edifice. Currently have about 20 watches, but i'm on a watch buying hiatus for the time being. Even though there's many watches out there i'd quite like to add to my small collection, but its easy to get carried away if you let it.

Yes it is! On the other hand, 100's of watches have gone through my hands in the last 25 years and my watch box is now worth a fair few £k's but has cost me nothing, it's a very cheap hobby if you know what you are doing. I now have a 10 watch box full and just a Casio solar G-shock for holidays and Seiko for work.

You can't go wrong with Seiko automatics, it pains me to see somebody wearing a garbage fashion watch like D&G, Gucci, Hilfiger etc That may have cost £300 but has an intrinsic value of tuppence, when they could get a very good Seiko for the same, a watch that will last them a lifetime. If I was skint I'd buy a Seiko 5 for £90 and be happy.:okay:

I recently bought a watch for my youngest son, I couldn't stand to look at his NEXT one any longer. I had a good look and settled on a Seiko SNZH blue version. It has the bullet proof 7S36 movement, day/date wheels, smooth bezel action, nice hands and indices, good lume and a bracelet that is........ok. I think I paid about £130 for it, nitpicking, the bracelet doesn't have solid end links and the crown is non-screw down. It is astonishing value.:eek:

61oSGbMpOvL._UX385_.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom