Any way to do 12t 1/8" ingle speed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
More friction? How.much more? And what is this figure expressed as a percentage of the total of all the drag factors on a bike?

Look at track bikes at a track meeting , how many have you ever seen with 12t rear sprockets most use 15 t with a 50+ chainring .
This is done to reduce the bend in the chain line more bend more effort - I am not interested in the maths, only the fact , Why do you think us "bent riders " use a larger chain redirection pulley rather than a mickey mouse one ?

Just spent a couple of hours reading about high gears and knee issues. I feel a bit silly now. And lucky, I guess, for not injuring myself during the last few years.

I imagined there was stress but didn't think about it much. My knees seemed fine so I imagined the pressure can't be too bad. Thanks for for the wake-up call guys, especially voyager. Not quite sure what I'm going to ride but I'm not that excited about 12t single speed any more.

About 40 years ago the BCF as it was known then limited "schoolboy and junior events " gear ratios to 76" and 86" , For these reasons the RTTC did not , In my early teens I rode several time trials on 81" fixed getting around 26 minute times , during winter I rode a 68" fixed to help develop my ability to spin . now ,

"knees seem fine "

My problems started well after the "event " when muscle wastage cause the knee joints to move back sideways . Care needs to be taken that after developing stronger muscles ( especially the one that runs through the knee these cause the knee to move outwards as the muscle develops ) ) that when the muscles eventually start to return to fat that the wear caused previously does not cause pain ( it has happened to me )

well out of my 6th decade I can still spin ( up to 120 rpm for short distances ) which helps combat the dodgy knees that occur in later life after a lay up from cycling and made worse from the resulting muscle wastage . Mashing causes me problems
wheelchair.gif
. but a steady cadence and i am okay.

Probably :banghead: why I have gone the tadpole trike route now
juggle2.gif
wheelchair.gif
with e-assist :cheers:

regards emma

Attachments

• wheelchair.gif
    wheelchair.gif
    941 bytes · Views: 41

depechegore80

mmm @cdx how bigger you are? maybe if you are very tall and muscular, you can do that (move 56x12) without being hurt, but for average people that can explode their knees in a hill :laugh:

Top Bottom