Anybody got a tattoo and if so what

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
User76 said:
7 Royal Horse Artillery.

Oh, the commotion trying to get the bloody horses out of the plane:biggrin:

Good one:biggrin:I only ask as some claim to be paras when they were just attatched to them,gets up real paras noses;)

Chuffy said:
Hmmm. I'd love a bike tat, but it's incredibly hard to come up with something original.

Just have B R O O K S tattoed across your arse, then you can say you really do have a Brooks arse.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Mr Phoebus said:
A mate of mine who's got to be close to 90% all over tattooed, if not more.
He says the places that hurt most were the armpits and the small webs between the fingers.

Armpits were not that bad imo. Worse for me was the kidney areas and the elbows,

Kovu

Über Member
A mate of mine is going to get ARSEnal on his left breast.
That made me laugh. Ironic :biggrin:

Noodley

Stupid people get tattoos.

Not that I'm being judgemental, like :biggrin::smile:

Seriously, I've never seen the attraction - my body is gorgeous enough a big enough mess as it is!

col

Legendary Member
User76 said:
Indeed, in fact I always make it quite clear that I was not in the Parachute Regiment, but that I was in the artillery regiment attached to the para brigade. Although, to be fair, I think most people pick that up quite quickly because I can hold a conversation without either trying to shag or kill the other person and I can read and write:biggrin:

Who cant read and write?:blush:
Just wonder why the wings instead of your own regiment?

Noodley

col said:
Just wonder why the wings instead of your own regiment?

I'm sure if anyone asked he's point out that he was not a para just attached to para. Nobody would know what Artillery regiment looked like. Maybe earmuffs?

col

Legendary Member
It was my brother that was in 3 para,im sure he never wanted a tattoo of another regiment,just wondered why you do?

col

Legendary Member
User76 said:
I think that it was more about the earning of the jump wings that was the achievement. Jump wings are not the cap badge of the Parachute Regiment, merely a badge of achievement open to all the Army. So probably thats why, more like getting an Ironman tattoo after doing an event, but much much harder;)

Its just some get the wings tattoo and let people beleive it means they are real paras,when actually gaining jump wings is a piece of cake to the actual training the paras do,and its a maroon beret,not red ;)

col

Legendary Member
User76 said:
Are you sure you were never in the paras???

There is indeed, or was, an all arms jump course where sailors, like Marines, can get their wings without p-company. In 5th Airborne Brigade, as it was, everyone went through pre-para, p-company and became 'proper paras' but we were badged to different corps. So, 9 Squadron, 7 RHA, the field ambulance, REME even the cooks, everyone has done the full para training. We even shared the same town, and trust me, the only distinction between us over the weekend was the motif on our maroon or green t-shirts. If it was raining or cold, then everyone just had a Barbour jacket, jeans and a pair of Desert boots.

Oh the other difference of course was that the other corps could read the KFC menu and not just have to rely on the pictures:biggrin:

They still class those that didnt do the basic 6 months including pcompany as not a real para,which they arent,they are marines or guards who learn to jump,nothing winds a para up more when these claim to be paras:biggrin:But your right,when you learn to jump your a parachutist,but not para reg.;)

Oh and the general term was anyone not in para reg was a craphat,even those that learned how to jump,this isnt a dig at you,but just what the term was;)

llllllll

Kind of like the idea of a tattoo, but I've a real problem with needles, so it's just not going to happen.

One question though, what's the fasination with odd languages? Why would you want anything written in chinese across your back? Unless you speak/read chinese, it could say anything and you'd never know. Surely if somethings important enough for you to have it permantently etched on your body it should be in a language that people can understand? (not ancient Greek) Or do these phrases come across as fantastically pretentious when the public can read them?

Brains

Legendary Member
Old tats don't look good.

When I were but a lad,we used to sail with an old seadog in his 60's who, as kids, we assumed he had some of of skin disease.

His arm was covered in red and green blotches and welts.

In his late teens he had had a black, green and red snake drawn all around his arm with the head on his shoulder and the tail by his thumb.

50 years later all the black had gone and the red and green had faded and spread.

Top Bottom