Anybody got any of the Aldi kit yet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davefb

Guru
My Aldi Merino top review (On-one merino top review to follow)
http://redbikes.blog...top-review.html

hehe, I wore mine this morning,, bit chilly , so went with the totally wimpy , 'mountaineering tshirt base layer from go-outdoors' , merino jumper, and aldi rainproof hi-viz ..

cycle shorts and 3/4 walking pants...

i was nice and warm :smile:...

though not THAT warm :ohmy:..

( also + 1 for the el-cheapo raleigh lens swappable 'shades' i got from argos for a tenner , the yellow meant i could see in the off road part of my run and also cut enough of the glare out :smile: )

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
get a feeling that the quality is going down, compared with previous years, as the price drifts upwards - likewise Lidl's cycling kit?
Think it's the same with everything now. I got a pair of winter trousers and tried them out this morning. Very happy and they feel decent quality. The winter top is OK but I'm not convinced it will "do the job" thru winter. I suspect it'll get me to end of November/early December. Didn't get the rainproof jacked as just wasn't convinced with the quality/price. Stitching doesn't bother me - if it comes apart I'll just redo it how it should have been done in the 1st place!!

Does anyone think the pad in the winter trousers is waaaaaay too big? It might be because I have Med instead of the Small I should have gotten - is there much different in pad size between these?

thistler

Veteran
I popped into our Aldi today (couldn't get there last week) and was pleasantly surprised to find they still had some cycling stuff left - I got some arm warmers (very nice), a pair of the shoes to use over winter (not the best quality but great for £20, and the pannier rack.

The winter shirts/jackets/jerseys looked lovely, but I had spent all my money so wasn't able to buy anything else.

Sysagent

"The Most Annoying Man In The World."
Used the arm warmers quite a bit up here in "Sunny" Lancashire and they are great (having never used them before), makes you wonder what the branded / named ones are like, much better or the same?

Leaway2

Lycrist
Winter trousers XL slightly too large
Fluorescent water proof jacket XL. slightly too tight across the shoulders
winter shirt XL arms too long

I wore the trousers yesterday but far too warm, had to revert to shorts today.

A real mix but great for my daily commute at just over £50

davefb

Guru
finally got out in the shoes ( after getting my pedals fitted..)
managed to break the fittings for the cleats for the right foot almost immediately, (theres two positions you can use, so swap to other position).
and then when swapping the left foot so it's using the same position
i manage to break that........ grrr , so cleats are in different positions on left/right ( oh hum...gotta carry on)

did ride ( just 17miles ) took ages and i'm blaming a cold ( which i've still got :sad: ), mainly with just the right foot 'in'... get confidence up, try with both feet and yay its' pretty darned good :smile:.. manage not too fall off even !!!

well until i'd just left my mates, cycle up the cobbled street to back of house with just one foot in........... well thats what i thought , actually both feet had 'clicked in' , so as predicted by my mate, 'you'll fall off once you're not thinking about em'..... OWW!

( had wasted sunday fitting the pannier,, coz it wont fit with my mudguards :sad:, the mudguard wont fit between rear brake and bottom of pannier,, GAH! )

rodgy-dodge

An Exceptional Member
Like most the weather had a little nip yesterday so out came the Aldi winter wear...
not convinced it'll be any good for the winter. Although I have had jerseys in the past and they've been comfortable I'm not sure on this winter one (Lady's) that I've bought. The pocket in the back of the jersey was too small to fit my rather small cycle showerproof in so I recon it would not hold a map unless folded very small! I couldn't even get a tissue in one of the compartments. Today I'm going to modify it I've undone the stitching making one large pocket and I'll insert a new elastic to closed the opening a bit so knothing falls out when riding. The trousers where a little long but I thought hey ho I can take those up not realising that the stitching through the windproof layer and main trouser was situated over my knee so when I was peddling it was rubbing up and down I think the padding must be unisex as it was a little uncomfortable and made me walk like John Wayne not very flattering.

finally got out in the shoes ( after getting my pedals fitted..)
managed to break the fittings for the cleats for the right foot almost immediately, (theres two positions you can use, so swap to other position).
and then when swapping the left foot so it's using the same position
i manage to break that........ grrr , so cleats are in different positions on left/right ( oh hum...gotta carry on)

Take them back - Aldi will just swap them and I don't think a huge amount of people will be buying these shoes.

C

chillyuk

I went to Lidl this morning and bought a workstand, then over to Aldi and bought a rear pannier rack. Guess I can try the workstand out later!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Bought some of the reflective/flasing LED bands - 4 for 3.99 - pretty good! But where do you wear them? I would have thought ankles, but they are a little long/ loose for that. Any thoughts?
Re LIDL workstands - all gone by 9am in my local store - just a glimpse of a couple being carried out by the last lucky purchaser. Lots and lots of the gloves left though, bought a couple of pairs - appear to be very good value @ 3.99 (and no naff logos for once!)

davefb

Guru
Take them back - Aldi will just swap them and I don't think a huge amount of people will be buying these shoes.

gunna try, but sold out the first shops i've been to :sad:..

must admit, i did get to like the feeling,,, (apart from thinking, these shoes are not as 'nice' as the small/soft trainers i normally wear)..

Bought some of the reflective/flasing LED bands - 4 for 3.99 - pretty good! But where do you wear them? I would have thought ankles, but they are a little long/ loose for that. Any thoughts?

Cut off the velcro strap bit and cable tie a pair to the uprights of a pannier rack or the seat stays

[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79p_KdZC5Ao[/media]

(tilt your head left)

(now adapted the rack mount to hold a second superflash and need to retrieve my grinder from a mate to knock up a homebrew bracket for a further rear light)

Top Bottom