Anybody got any of the Aldi kit yet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davefb

Guru
got some stuff on the way to work

this is the gf list...

the shoes.
the pannier
the cycling jacket ( in red)
couple of cycling socks.
marino top ..

extended ..
the winter gloves
the waterproof trousers.
the bright waterproof top ( tbh i have got a ten quid one from clas ohlson which is certainly pretty waterproof and tested ;), but the aldi one looked better :smile: )
silly bright armband things with led's

dont think i went TOOO overboard ;)

rodgy-dodge

An Exceptional Member
I know the Aldi sale of winter cycling kit starts today. Has anybody been and looked/bought yet? Which bits are worth the money and which aren't?

PS. Before any one comments - the title should say "any" not "on" - chuffing phone spell checker!!

Just bought the winter trousers baring in mind they're not top of the range but will do for short rides out. seem very generous with the fitting very long in the legs - maybe I just have short legs :unsure: Also bought ladies winter top and had to take it back as the overlock stiching started to come undone! exchanged no problem for another which seems fine checked it in shop to make sure. I Have had their tops before and I do like the comfort of them. All in all you get what you pay for.

zizou

Veteran
cycling socks
merino top
base layer
windbreaker/softshell top
bib tights

quality seems comparable with previous years and they had more stock than their spring sale so it wasn't such a big bun fight this time :biggrin:

chris-s

Too much! Now I've no reason to get out in the less inclement weather, tho I still think the bike is too new and shiney to get wet just yet :smile:

Chris

StuartG

slower but further
Bought a bit more than planned:

Shoes
Gloves
Pump
Winter Jacket
Hat/Overshoes
LED bands

Sadly no medium Merino tops left by 9:01 at Catford store.

I'm a bit of a sucker for Lidl/Aldi.

crumpetman

Got a couple of sizes of
merino shirt
arm warmers
mountain bike shorts

plus 2 pairs of socks, the winter jacket (£15 one in black) and some microfibre towels as they seem very cheap and are good for camping as well. The winter jackets were not wrapped up so I tried one and ended up with a x-large when usually I would be a large or even sometimes a medium. Makes me wonder which size I will actually be in the other items.

I shall try on the shorts and top in a bit and see which size is best and hopefully get back there to exchange them before they sell out! I pass two Aldi stores on my commute and my parents live round the corner from another so I should be able to get all the bits I am after.

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
So nothing that should be avoided then?

pepecat

Got gloves, rainproof jacket, socks and a winter cycling jacket. Wondered how you gents get on with the sizing - I took a medium in the mens cycling winter jacket (didn't want white/ladies), and I'm a slim 5'7" girlie. And it's a decent/snug fit too. If you were a 6 ft 12/13 stone bloke - goodness knows what size you'd need.

Was pissed about the shoes..... smallest size they had was 8. I take a 7. Grrrrrr!!!

battered

Guru
I have the same problem with the shoes, nothing under an 8. It's strange because the rest of their gear is less than generous in sizing, I generally take men's medium and I'm 5'7, normally not much over 11 stones and 40 chest, but the Aldi mediums are a little snug.

crumpetman

Got gloves, rainproof jacket, socks and a winter cycling jacket. Wondered how you gents get on with the sizing - I took a medium in the mens cycling winter jacket (didn't want white/ladies), and I'm a slim 5'7" girlie. And it's a decent/snug fit too. If you were a 6 ft 12/13 stone bloke - goodness knows what size you'd need.

Was pissed about the shoes..... smallest size they had was 8. I take a 7. Grrrrrr!!!

Indeed! I got an xl in the winter jacket but a large in the merino top is too big and a medium in the shorts to small but a large a little loose. Same story with the arm warmers, the s/m fit nicely but are much too short. The l/xl are the right length but keep falling down. I'm gonna pop back later and try to find a medium in the merino and get a refund on a bunch of stuff, a bit disappointed really.

chigman

Went to get shoes but only went upto a size 10 and I'm a 12 :angry: Ended up getting flurecent waterproof jacket XL (it's a little bit tight around the shoulders but I'll get away with it ), merino top xl, cycle leggins xl and winter cycling top xl. Good value at 56 quid and a few pence.:biggrin:

steve

luther

Bought....
2 pairs of socks
Merino Top
Cycling jacket
MTB shorts
Winter Cycling shirt
Heart Rate Monitor Watch
Pannier Rack
and a set of mudguards......

£80ish all in...... very happy
thumbsup.png

Shoes looked a bit cack so gave them a miss...... I'm still considering the bike rack though so I may well go back later
whistling.gif

Top Bottom