Anybody planning a trip to Kenya soon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You'd better cancel!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-23598012

Not before time, I would add; it's a filthy, sweltering congested airport with frequent power failures, mountains of lost baggage clogging the baggage hall and an embarrassment to Kenya. The new terminal was about half-built when I was last there in April, just the steel framework. This will cause chaos throughout East Africa.

Maz

Guru
Is it cheaper than Bournemouth?

asterix

Comrade Member
Yup, sums it up. We were there for several hours awaiting a departure. We couldn't find a place to sit meanwhile, except some cafe with rather hard chairs so we took it in turns to buy a coffee every hour or so. We had to stay put or we'd have lost our seats. Instantly.

It's not surprising the emergency services were slow getting there as the road in is so inadequate and the traffic in Nairobi is so bad. Unless you are the president in which case everything is stopped to let you and your entourage through. We saw it happen and were strongly advised not to take any photos!

A lot of people are going to lose out if they don't get things moving again PDQ.

asterix

Comrade Member
Is it cheaper than Bournemouth?

I'd guess* not much, from our experience as tourists. There appears to be a 2 tier price structure. At one of our stops going home we bought some sweets at a filling station (for pretty much what you'd pay in the UK) and I gave the toilet attendant the change as a tip (less than 50p). Anyone would think the guy had won the lottery!

* Bournemouth is a place I have never visited.

ohnovino

Large Member
I know someone who's due to fly in to that airport today. Initially they weren't told what was happening, just that there'd be a "2 hour delay"!!! Now they're facing an impromptu road-trip across Africa.

If the Kenyans need a new airport, perhaps they'll buy this one.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
It is called Bournemouth International, I believe. :whistle:

Must be another airport that I am thinking of. I flew to Jersey from an airport some where near there. It was called International because of two flights a day to Jersey.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Still not as s*** as Ndjili Airport in Kinshasa...

The worst airport I ever flew into was Addis Ababa back in the early 1990s. They hadn't even fixed the shell craters in the runway and the terminal was a concrete monstrosity, with no air conditioning and no running water (the toilets were like the seventh level of Hell). I went there a couple of years ago and the new terminal is fabulous.

Eeeek! I'm just filling in my visa application for DRC now... nowhere can be worse than Lagos or even Roberts International in Liberia, can it?

Addis isn't bad now... got stranded there for 24 hours a couple of years ago.

To see how African airports COULD be, have a look at the superb new terminal at Durban; it's almost a joy to use.

Top Bottom