Anybody think these should be mandatory?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Can any of our expats shed any light on lorry restrictions in European Towns and Cities ?
I didn't see any 40 ton trucks in Rotterdam recently (only on the outer rings roads).

Has anyone seen the difficult (impossible) access to Supermarkets encountered by Eddie Stobart drivers on the TV ?
I really do think that deliveries by articulated lorries to UK towns need to be changed.

D

Deleted member 23692

If you're trying to squeeze down the side of traffic, you're too busy concentrating on the crappy kerbside road surface and the size of the gap to the right of your handlebars to even a see the sign on the back of a lorry never mind read it. It's only really going to get seen/read by those who patiently wait behind the vehicle. So the sign only really preaches to the converted.

The guy in the vid has one near death experience and even acknowledges that to the guy filming it, and then proceeds to try again. Nothing is going to stop idiots doing stupid things but maybe education will work for most, but a sign isn't.

And as said above it's wrong to blame someone else because a cyclist puts themselves in a avoidably dangerous situation

Crankarm

Guru
Having a warning like that on a vehicle is probably the truck company's way of protecting themselves from compensation claims in the same way as McDonalds had to do after someone, who spilt hot coffee on themselves, successfully sued them for not having 'Caution the contents of this cup may be hot' printed on it.

No, it's to try to protect total numptees from themselves. Do you think the chance of some compensation is worth dying for? If so you are nutz. If people want to prematurely remove themselves from a living state then that's up to them but couldn't they do it some where else?

People who ride down the sides of long and or wide vehicles in confined spaces are selfish nutters. It's the drivers of the large vehicles I feel sorry for and any family of the deceased nutter.

Of course where a large vehicle comes along side a cyclist then turns left across them is a totally different scenario, a situation not of a cyclist's making.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
It's interesting that people here feel positive about those signs. My first gut response whenever I see one is to be really annoyed at the haulage industry. As long as truck drivers in London are still squashing innocent cyclists during left turns, it seems rich - and somewhat victim-blamey - to put up signs that place the onus on cyclists as though they alone cause all the problems.
But most of the time the blame is on the cyclist. They are the ones stupid enough to go up the inside of a lorry indicating left.
Granted there are the few occasions where a lorry has just overtaken a cyclist and then turns left, but most of these deaths occur when the vehicle has been stopped at a traffic light.

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
Can any of our expats shed any light on lorry restrictions in European Towns and Cities ?
I didn't see any 40 ton trucks in Rotterdam recently (only on the outer rings roads).

Has anyone seen the difficult (impossible) access to Supermarkets encountered by Eddie Stobart drivers on the TV ?
I really do think that deliveries by articulated lorries to UK towns need to be changed.
Yes lets get the lunatic White Van Man to do it all :banghead:

GrasB

Veteran
You cannot make a bold statement like that though as it can be safe.
Yes he can. Sure going up the near side of a lorry can be done safely. However, if it wasn't done at all then it wouldn't be done when it's dangerous. That would reduce the occurrences of HGV left turn cyclist deaths.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I am glad that everyone on here is in agreement that it is stupid to go up the inside of any large vehicle. They shouldnt really need signs, its just common sense (to most people).

paul04

Über Member
I work in the diy store the OP mentioned in the 1st post,
I noticed that quite a few wagons have the sign on the back, this is one I spotted today in the warehouse yard.
IMAG0066.jpg

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
My dad used to run a haulage firm many years ago and I remember once (in the 1970s) he got a visit from the police because one of his lorries had potted and killed a cyclist in Manchester, the incident was witnessed, hence the lorry being traced to my dad's firm via the reg no, but the driver was totally unaware and drove back to Liverpool before being told the next day. Due to the size and weight of the vehicle he didn't see or hear anything. I remember my dad telling me and my mum how badly the driver was affected, he was devastated.

There are good and bad in every job and some truck drivers are poor, but my experience is that most of them are honest, conscientious professional people, far more aware of their potential and responsibilities than most other drivers. Personally I find car drivers far more discourteous; some seem to think a bike is no wider than its rear tyre, and when you're a 15 wobbly like me that's not nice. Same as you get good and bad cyclists though I suppose.

I am glad that everyone on here is in agreement that it is stupid to go up the inside of any large vehicle. They shouldnt really need signs, its just common sense (to most people).

But is it?

Many newcomers see the on road cycle path as a route which they can use like any other road lane.

Think of a dual carriageway, would you not use the inside lane if there was an HGV in the outer?

The same logic applies to a cycle facility is is seen as a "lane", and it is assumed that no-one is sgoing to cross it withoiy=ut due care.

swansonj

Guru
My dad used to run a haulage firm many years ago and I remember once (in the 1970s) he got a visit from the police because one of his lorries had potted and killed a cyclist in Manchester, the incident was witnessed, hence the lorry being traced to my dad's firm via the reg no, but the driver was totally unaware and drove back to Liverpool before being told the next day. Due to the size and weight of the vehicle he didn't see or hear anything. I remember my dad telling me and my mum how badly the driver was affected, he was devastated.

There are good and bad in every job and some truck drivers are poor, but my experience is that most of them are honest, conscientious professional people, far more aware of their potential and responsibilities than most other drivers. Personally I find car drivers far more discourteous; some seem to think a bike is no wider than its rear tyre, and when you're a 15 wobbly like me that's not nice. Same as you get good and bad cyclists though I suppose.
I largely agree. The fault lies with a society that thinks it is acceptable for truck drivers to be allowed into a public place in charge of a piece of heavy machinery that has been designed in a way such that the operator cannot ensure its safety. Moving a piece of heavy machinery into a zone that you cannot ensure is free from members of the public would not be tolerated in any other work environment these days.

Top Bottom