Anybody think these should be mandatory?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Psyclist

Über Member
Saw this posted on Facebook. Apparently a leading DIY store have put these on their long goods vehicles, but it isn't the law for them to do as far as I am aware for LGV's to have.

Good of them to do if you ask me.

I know experienced cyclists on here know about this already, but for people who don't, I think this should be mandatory for all LGV's and buses to have on them. Saving lives is always important.

547597_564092456946703_577191312_n.jpg

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
From when I had a meeting with my local Arriva bus depot manager, I learnt that all the buses have only had the cyclist warning signs on them since a meeting in last September with national cycling organisations. But they have said that they fit them to all the Arriva buses as compulsory now.

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
The problem isn't with the drivers of the vehicles, who generally are pretty good at watching the mirrors. I think it's more to do with opportunistic 'urban warrior' riders chancing it in a widening gap as the LGV drivers prepare for a left turn. I suspect that many such riders have never visited our hallowed web pages and are thus likely to remain unaware of their self imposed peril.

Nathjh

I think they should have the "if you can't see my mirrors I can see you" signs, if I'm following something big I like to make myself known the the driver for everyone's safety!

Salis

Regular
It's interesting that people here feel positive about those signs. My first gut response whenever I see one is to be really annoyed at the haulage industry. As long as truck drivers in London are still squashing innocent cyclists during left turns, it seems rich - and somewhat victim-blamey - to put up signs that place the onus on cyclists as though they alone cause all the problems.

D

Deleted member 23692

I was told at an early age that lorries have two sides - an offside and a suicide. That stuck with me.

My job involves 'information signage', albeit not cycling related, From experience very few people 'notice' signs, of those that do very few will take time to read them, and of those that read them even fewer will actually heed them. As said above most signs are nothing more than a panacea

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think it is too wordy ... I've seen a few of those signs but the ones you notice most are usually short and possibly with a hint of humour.

DWiggy

Über Member
I think any HGV's going into London should have a near side camera/sensor setup with monitor in cab, and all of the open parts around and in between wheels should be covered with a low guard (hopefully deflecting a cyclist rather than sucking then under the wheels)

But in the case of the cyclist in the vid above not sure that would help lol

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Ireland has been running a public information series of short films on national TV explaining dangers to cyclists and informing drivers how to behave around us. If Ireland can afford this why cant Britain?

View: http://vimeo.com/9551375

You cant legislate against idiots being idiots.No sensible cyclist would consider squeezing between a truck and a pavement especially on a bend but sadly you see similar near misses every day.

If cyclists never ever passed HGV /Bus/vans etc on the left ,especially near junctions/bends,the death toll would be hugely reduced.

Top Bottom