Anybody think these should be mandatory?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
HGV drivers should also have the counter-sign in their cabs "Do not overtake cyclists when turning left."
As should cars .amazes me the frequency of idiots passing me only to turn left immediately ,must shave at least 2 seconds off their journey time.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I believe they have been mandatory on all new lorries of a certain class for several years now. Doesn't stop people in London.

I

If cyclists never ever passed HGV /Bus/vans etc on the left ,especially near junctions/bends,the death toll would be hugely reduced.

You cannot make a bold statement like that though as it can be safe.

I have a junction on my commute which is light controlled and I know the sequence.

There is an on road cycle track leading tp an ASL..... I know that if traffic is crossing from the right I have 60 - 120 seconds to get to the ASL.

If coming form he left then I still have 60 seconds to get to the ASL, but if the adjacent road is moving then tucking into primary to prevent left hooks is the way forward.

subaqua

What’s the point
Do you think they would have stopped this idiot?

nope , as it looks like the lorry has the sign anyway but fairly high.
I see cyclists doing this on a depressingly regular basis in an attempt to gain 2 seconds. I have started to block access down the side when it just isn't big enough for a cyclist. i get some abuse but my conscience can cope with that

It's interesting that people here feel positive about those signs. My first gut response whenever I see one is to be really annoyed at the haulage industry. As long as truck drivers in London are still squashing innocent cyclists during left turns, it seems rich - and somewhat victim-blamey - to put up signs that place the onus on cyclists as though they alone cause all the problems.

Cyclists alone are not the cause of the problem, but they can exercise far more control over their risk when near large vehicles than many of them do. Salis, I wonder whether you have any experience of driving LGVs. A modern truck has six mirrors to check: even then there will still be blindspots, and the driver also has to look where he is going in addition to seeing what is alongside and behind him. Think about checking those mirrors in the dark, or when they are covered in rain: each one will take about a second to a second and a half if the driver is to focus and do a good job of identifying hazards. By the time he has checked them all prior to moving off, the first one he looked at needs to be examined again - it is a bit like painting the Forth Bridge. It is not an easy task to drive a large vehicle, and heavy traffic makes it even more difficult.

Yes, there are dreadful truck/bus drivers, but there are also crazy cyclists who believe that they are invincible. If I were perhaps in a foreign city and wanted to visit a certain area after dark to sample its nightlife, but was advised that it would be very unwise for a person of my race/colour/creed to venture there, and I ignored the advice only to be beaten to a pulp, would I not be responsible in some way for my injuries? Yes, I ought to be able to rely on others to not break the law and assault me, but human nature means that I cannot. The situation with cyclists and large vehicles is little different - they ought to see us, but humans make mistakes at times, so forget your sanctimonious attitude, take as much responsibility for your own safety as you are able, and stop blaming others when it goes wrong.

Linford

Do you think they would have stopped this idiot?

Jesus H Christ....what a twat :eek:

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Thankfully I signed up here a couple of years back and got educated with the likes of Mikey's videos and others knowledge, knowledge I've hopefully passed on to my kids.
Lorry and bus signs may get read by some and I hope it helps save lives, but more is needed IMHO

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I have no problems at all with signs on the back of lorries. I don't understand the "victim blaming" argument against them. If they give someone a chance to reconsider creeping close to very large encroaching wheels, that's good enough, isn't it? Do principles matter more than tragic deaths?

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
One does have to watch out for oneself. My Dad always said a dimes worth of time is cheaper than six feet of dirt, and that patience was a tool best applied in traffic.

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
Having a warning like that on a vehicle is probably the truck company's way of protecting themselves from compensation claims in the same way as McDonalds had to do after someone, who spilt hot coffee on themselves, successfully sued them for not having 'Caution the contents of this cup may be hot' printed on it.

sidevalve

Über Member
Having a warning like that on a vehicle is probably the truck company's way of protecting themselves from compensation claims in the same way as McDonalds had to do after someone, who spilt hot coffee on themselves, successfully sued them for not having 'Caution the contents of this cup may be hot' printed on it.
Simply having a warning notice wont save them from claims however to the OP. IF you are approaching from the rear [you must be to see the sign] and you then try to undertake a left turning truck, well sorry but it's 100% your own stupid fault. If you are too dim to take responsibility for your own actions and don't know how to cycle safely [or at least try to] then maybe a bus pass is more suited to your lifestyle. This sort of very basic self preservation is taught to m/cyclists on day one of the training courses and maybe it shouts out for an increase of the cycle training schemes if a grown adult doesn't realise that a left turning HGV MUST in effect cut the corner. Waffling on about cars overtaking and then turning left is, to this thread, irrelevant, the notice is to remind cyclists not to try to undertake at a junction and in such circumstances, as it would be with the m/cyclist or car driver any accident IS the undertakers fault.

Top Bottom