Anybody "upped and cleared off"??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

I'd pretty much always lived in cities before our move to rural France. I think adapting to rurality has been perhaps as big a change as adapting to a different country. But clearly I can't know unless I move to Paris, or to rural UK.

Suffice it to say that sometimes I'm not sure if a difference I might experience is UK/France or rural/urban.

luckyfox

She's the cats pajamas
Been weighing things up lately, and am seriously thinking about shifting and starting up again a good few hundred miles away from where I live. Where I live now, in West Devon is lovely, can`t fault it, but people in general down here that I know/live close to are driving me nuts, I have a house that is a money pit - I can`t keep up with it both physically and money wise, my job is as boring and thankless as it gets.

There is nobody here that would miss me (probably be clapping their hands), and I live on my own, so nothing to stop me. I`ve always loved Yorkshire and fancy living there, but starting again 400 miles away is a bit scary!

Anybody done a similar thing? I know it`s minor compared to the things some people do, but we all start somewhere.........
I upped and moved 200 miles down south, realised it was a big mistake 2 days later and came back. Depends on the reasons really....

Leodis

Veteran
Been weighing things up lately, and am seriously thinking about shifting and starting up again a good few hundred miles away from where I live. Where I live now, in West Devon is lovely, can`t fault it, but people in general down here that I know/live close to are driving me nuts, I have a house that is a money pit - I can`t keep up with it both physically and money wise, my job is as boring and thankless as it gets.

There is nobody here that would miss me (probably be clapping their hands), and I live on my own, so nothing to stop me. I`ve always loved Yorkshire and fancy living there, but starting again 400 miles away is a bit scary!

Anybody done a similar thing? I know it`s minor compared to the things some people do, but we all start somewhere.........

What are you waiting for? :okay:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Having "upped and cleared off" in my own fashion - of sorts. With moving to Canada in 2006 following Mum's death, I started a new life here. I have no regrets, except for perhaps to a part of the country where the winter lasts six months and its so farking cold!

You rapidly acquire the ability to forget the winter a matter of days after it ends! But it seems interminable at the time...

Sandra6

Veteran
We've done it a few times. I've never regretted moving on,but do regret staying put.
If it wasn't for the children having opinions of their own these days we'd move again.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
while living in Spain I met many people who just upped and left, most if not all thought it would be better than what they had and most reinvented themselves but the problem with reinventing ones self, is ones self, very quickly people revert back to the old them...so if one of the reasons you want to move is because you find you fall out or have arguements with lots of people and find making friends or keeping friends difficult, I'm sorry to say but this highly unlikely to change not impossible but not very probable..

The problem with running away from yourself is that wherever you go, you still seem to be there.

Yes, my husband and I have done it.
Left Surrey, had 12 months on the road, 4 months living with my parents and then rented a property in Cheshire where we are now.
We are considering doing it again, only this time to Glasgow, but we are having to reconsider those plans at the moment due to my back issues.
regrets - none. Left a few friends behind - wish we had kept better contact with them, but that is something I am not good at and never have been.
Other than my back and that uncertainty (if I can ever work again etc) we would leave for Glasgow tomorrow.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Yes. Faced with a demanding load of relatives, I packed up and moved one day. I would still come back and do errands and cut lawns and such for my father, and that was fine with him. 40 miles was all the distance I needed. Soon after, I met a beautiful girl and got married. Still happy.

Top Bottom