Anybody "upped and cleared off"??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

I took my Ron Cooper bikes to Ontario in 1986 and used to cycle round High Park when I stayed in Etobicoke and also spent time in Northern Ontario on Lake Nipissing and also Saulte St Marie. Loved Canada
It`s a great place, only been once and if funds would allow I`d go again, no problem

stephec

Legendary Member
We moved from Birmingham to Wales. Just sold up and left. Best thing I ever did. Of course my son and daughter followed us down here as well. Go for it. What have you got to lose.
Out of the frying pan......... :biggrin:

MarkF

Guru
I've worked all over the UK and there are places I'd prefer to live if money was no issue, but for "bang ber buck", Aire Valley Yorkshire is hard to beat. Anywhere from Skipton to Leeds provides a great lifestyle at an affordable price, I love it, I am 5 mins from woods, the canal and River Aire, can cycle to Leeds in an hour, Skipton in 2 (1.5 if not hungover) and there are v.good train links to the Dales and towns/cities. Not many places you can see wild deer cycling on your way to Harvey Nicks!

midlife

Guru
I wasn't allowed into Canada 20 years ago as the job I wanted hadn't been offered to a Canadian. Has it changed?

Shaun I

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I get you totally, Canada is beautiful, it`s out of my league but am jealous, enjoy it. Is the cycling good over there then??

Not round here, at least not for the kind of cycling I like. Southern Ontario is pretty flat, but what's really lacking interesting roads. Typical of a colonial country, roads are straight, grid-like and there just aren't the back-lanes and trails etc. Quebec is much more interesting for road biking but it's a fair distance away. BC is amazing for mountain biking in particular but it's almost quicker and cheaper to get to Europe from here...

classic33

Leg End Member
.....although before we get too soppy about the Dales, it rains a lot, it frequently blows a gale, it's very hilly, the internet is slow, mobile phones frequently don't work, the locals can be miserable
You just come ill prepared!
As a walker you should know better.

jhawk

Veteran
Having "upped and cleared off" in my own fashion - of sorts. With moving to Canada in 2006 following Mum's death, I started a new life here. I have no regrets, except for perhaps to a part of the country where the winter lasts six months and its so farking cold!

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
[QUOTE 3729421, member: 259"]Watch out for a few things if you leave the country. You,'ll be disenfranchised in important votes after 15 years. Not the case for most other countries.[/QUOTE]

Did you miss out on the vote that changed Marathon to Snickers?

anothersam

SMIDSMe
I was raised in a small town on the edge of tornado alley in the flatlands of agricultural Ohio, and upon leaving high school more or less flipped a coin, one side east, the other west. Landed on east so headed to NYC. Don't know if this qualifies as "upped and cleared off", but as so many of my classmates and all my family stayed in the state, and I was moving to the great unknown, I think it might.

Later I leapt across the pond to London, a move which was more exciting than wrenching. Sliding down from the Smoke into rural bucolia was Change with a capital C; even the modest town I grew up in is a metropolis compared to the company I now keep. Occasionally get a random itch to try elsewhering it again, but this feels enough like home to call it that.

My wife is from Sri Lanka, so it's fair to say she's had some major life changes, too.

dharma1.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom