Anybody "upped and cleared off"??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Go for it!

If you're selling up in Devon you'll probably be able to buy a castle up here... ;)

Where about in Yorkshire are you thinking of? The Dales are a wonderful place, but for great scenery (and lots of hills to cycle up...) a bit nearer civilization, the rural areas beyond Halifax and Huddersfield take some beating.

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Thanks for all the words of wisdom and replies, seems to be a definite trend towards the good:smile: It`s fantastic cycling country here but Yorkshire is too - that would be the only thing I`d miss if I didn`t have it.

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Go for it!

If you're selling up in Devon you'll probably be able to buy a castle up here... ;)

Where about in Yorkshire are you thinking of? The Dales are a wonderful place, but for great scenery (and lots of hills to cycle up...) a bit nearer civilization, the rural areas beyond Halifax and Huddersfield take some beating.
I like the Dales and I like North Yorkshire, and got to be rural - I don`t do concrete if I can help it. I like peace and quite nowadays!

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

I'm desperate to get out of London having had rare blood cancer and subsequent bonemarrow transplant in 2006 and now been told I have prostate cancer. Just got back from Cornwall and if I had my way that's where I'd be. Life is too short to not do what you want.
I was sorry to read your post, GWS:hugs:

Mrs M

Guru
Not exactly moving far (5 minutes down the road!) Have just sold my house because I was sick of having no money and an enormous mortgage and had a bit of a "what's it all for" moment!
Decided I did not want to work more hours so we are buying a smaller, much cheaper house with hardly any mortgage and are going to spend our money on bicycles and travelling instead.
Hopefully, if it all goes smoothly, we should be moved by the end of July. Can't wait!
This made me smile, good luck, :okay:

Mrs M

Guru
I came to Aberdeen, straight from school with nothing and not knowing a soul up here. (Still learning the local "lingo")!
Came to study then realised I did not want to be an art teacher :sad:
Got my current job, bought my first home (aged just 21) and met Mr M :smile:
Best move I ever made.
Go for it, best wishes. X

The Jogger

Legendary Member
We will be packing up and moving to Spain to retire next year, it means packing in a fairly well paid job with 9 years left to my retirement age. Some people think I'm nuts walking away from this job and by retirement age the pension would be very big but hey money isn't my motivation nor my wife's. It's still scary thinking about it but we do have a plan B.

snorri

Legendary Member

Top tip, if you want to get there by rail then get in the train:okay:

ScotiaLass

Guru
Upped sticks from Hornchurch in Essex back in 2001 to settle here in Pembrokeshire. There are aspects of living in a London suburb that I miss, but overall it was a good move as the quality of life down here is much better.
Ha! We may have crossed paths. I lived in Hornchurch from 1989 to 1999.

Venod

Eh up
You will be spoilt for choice in Yorkshire, as well as the Dales & North Yorkshire Moors, don't forget to look at the Wolds & Hambleton Hills North of York, we tend to be friendly but a bit outspoken, and of course you will never be a Yorkshireman.

surfdude

Veteran
12 years ago was living near Southampton and thought i don't like it here anymore so 3 months later was living in Cornwall and its the best thing i could have done . kids love it ,wife loves it ,i love it . brought a cheaper but bigger house with a smaller mortgage so only have to work 3 days a week but do more as i am needed at the charity i work at but general relax and chill out the rest of the time . best thing i could have done . go for it dude if you feel like it .

Dave 123

Legendary Member
We moved to Cambs from Devon in 1999 a few days after the eclipse. The boy was 3.
We'd just sold a business that wasn't going great and I came here to work as a Head Gardener on a private estate.
One of the other reasons to move was to get away from my in laws. They are lovely people who mean well but had a tendency to take over. Once we moved it was great, we were our own little unit, the 3 of us and the dog.
I love my job at the college and I love Cambridge too. I've made some great friends here, it is home now, not the Wirral where I grew up, and not Devon.
But.... When I retire I'd like to move somewhere where the countryside is a bit more interesting. I think that might be back to Devon....

Top tip, if you want to get there by rail then get in the train:okay:

Even better:

odveloc1.jpg

Reactions: 4F
Top Bottom