Anybody want to sign this petition?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Well, but if you already have a driving license?
In theory I think the certificate is a good idea (now everybody is gonna say I'm stupid ^_^)
If I get it right, you only have to take it if you want to cycle on a/b roads. If you already have a driving license you should already be aware of the rules. If not, and you want to cycle in traffic, you will gain from taking the course, imo.
In saying that, accidents will happen, licenses or not.

col

Legendary Member
There used to be a cyclling proficiancy test when I was a nipper, but then there wasnt the traffic on the road like today back then.

There used to be a cyclling proficiancy test when I was a nipper, but then there wasnt the traffic on the road like today back then.

That's why they have Bikeability :thumbsup:

No idea about other authorities, but I believe its funded and available up to Level 2 for all Leeds primary school pupils (although not all schools take up the offer) - Level 2 goes beyond the old CP and takes kids out on to the roads for some of their training.

Level 3 and school cycle route training is also available for secondary school pupils .... but it's not funded, so much smaller numbers.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I did cycling proficiency in the junior school playground. 1st time I was out on the road after was scary. Making a right turn I nearly got myself squashed. A nice old man stopped and gave, the 10 year old, me a kindly bit of advice about checking behind more often.
Does Bikeability get kids out onto real roads?
I realise what growingvegetables wrote renders this question pointless :blush:.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Not terribly practical idea is it? What happens when an 'unqualified' cyclist, sticking to non A or B roads wishes to cross them, or ride a few yards to the next junction? Do they have to dismount and walk? At what age does this apply? In effect this is calling for a cycling 'license', and for cyclists to registered. I am no way signing it.

BSRU

A Human Being
There are not enough traffic police to enforce the current laws, so how are they going to resource enforcing this one?

Edge705

What about introducing cyclists awareness in the driving test. Im talking about when is it safe to pass, pinch points, and other such tests which are not subject to law breaking. I agree cyclists need educating on the dangers also but the best and the worst are BUS drivers in my experience some care some dont. Only this morning a classic car reversing out of his driveway onto a main road causing me to break whilst doing a fair speed and upon expalining to the driver the errors of his way i.e its illegal both to reverse into a main road and emerging traffic do not have right of way a classic response "Why didnt you slow down" - SO IMHO until attitudes like this change then little will change.

OP
OP
Leedsbusdriver

Leedsbusdriver

Every breath leaves me one less to my last
By the way it wasn't a bus driver that started the petition,it is actually a truck driver who joined up in the hope that he would get some support from bus drivers.

subaqua

What’s the point
so if you already have a driving licence for several vehicles much larger than a car ??

guys onto a loser hopefully. although some plum of junior minister will likely think its a great idea

Top Bottom