Anyone been brave enough to cycle in this cold snap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I noticed my chain went rusty during my wet ride yesterday... but it is well past its time- been meaning to get round to getting a new one.

enjoyed my bar mitts Saturday at 25F. used some winter cycling gloves for the 1st hour but switched to my lighter wind stopper type gloves for the 2nd hour

wind gloves front.JPG

In the bikes defence, I believe it was the cable that froze. That frame will outlive me.
had a rear derailleur cable housing freeze up on me. that little loop down by the derailleur. didn't realize it until I was 1/2 mile from home, on my way to work 13 miles away, in early morning darkness, w/ temps in teensF. had to stop, take it a part, clear the ice manually, then reassemble it all. didn't take too long but what a pain in that cold & darkness! grrr

learned a valuable lesson tho - don't clean your bike when you get home from work with a water bottle & then leave it outside over night!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
learned a valuable lesson tho - don't clean your bike when you get home from work with a water bottle & then leave it outside over night!
Another lesson is to be cautious in changing up in freezing weather because you may not be able to change back down again!

I only had my rear derailleur freeze once in the recent cold snap, leaving me in 4th at the back, which was OK because the front stayed mobile. I think the FD cable on that bike runs bare on the down tube, so mostly sheltered by the front mudguard, then in an outer up beside/behind the seat post - but I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Cycling_Samurai

Ouch I've done mindless things like that.

Julia9054

Guru
Got these for Valentine's day. Worked a treat. At the end of the ride, you can take them out of your cycling shoes and put them in your slippers. They re activate themselves and go boiling hot again
The way to a girl's heart is, erm, warm feet!
20210212_114246.jpg

Top Bottom