Anyone been brave enough to cycle in this cold snap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carvelos

Yup tried to ride to work, fell off on ice on the way out, fell off coming home again, I need a tricycle........ or I could use the car

MntnMan62

Über Member
I'm a wimp. Plus we've gotten a fair amount of snow this winter. And it's gotten cold. Down into the 20's. Riding on the road this time of year is nuts. Black ice and all. Fat tire in the park on trails? Maybe. But no way will I get on the road in the winter.

A quick shufty up a local Col (de l'Aiguillon) this afternoon. Ran out of road at about 1000m due to ice and was pretty cold on the way down, bottle semi froze again so another slush puppy:ohmy:

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Yesterday one of the coldest days I remember riding and very very strong winds , roads long stretches of dry tarmac, then turn a corner / go over one side of a hill etc and a stretch of walking needed

Today felt better and ice / snow beginning to melt.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
And it's warm again here now and there were so many cyclists out that I lost count just on the 2 miles to the edge of town! And this is 2pm on a Monday, not rush hour. There were some I've seen before but a heck of a lot of new faces.

pjd57

Veteran
I still use my bikes in winter in Glasgow. Have to walk out to the main road and the bus routes though before I can start cycling when it's frosty.
It tends to be functional rather than recreational when the weather is bad.
But with no work ( 1 day a week usually ) football or shops to visit my mileage is down compared to last January and February

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've noticed that too: slikes are fantastic when you really have to get somewhere, but they don't have the same pleasant effortless feel of eating up the miles that semi-slicks do, so my cycling reduces to commuting and essential shopping.
They feel and sound awful, but my speed increases slightly on spikes compared to a bike with intermediate tyres ridden on wet roads, mud and leaves. I think it is because even though I still back off when cornering or approaching junctions, I don't skid as much with studs on ice as intermediates on slime, so don't have as many "I'll back off for a bit" segments.

Still nowhere near as fast as intermediate tyres on dry summer roads, of course! At least 3mph down over 10 rural miles, I reckon.

Top Bottom