Anyone been brave enough to cycle in this cold snap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Went out today for the third time this week. Roads are still dry and ice free, but bloody hell the wind did go through and through all 4 layers today. 90mins was quite enough!

The Ouse Washes are lovely at the moment with all the flooding it's like a 50mile long lake and the roads are dead quiet because you can't cross the flooded bits

IMG_20210211_133759.jpg

Went out today for the third time this week. Roads are still dry and ice free, but bloody hell the wind did go through and through all 4 layers today. 90mins was quite enough!

The Ouse Washes are lovely at the moment with all the flooding it's like a 50mile long lake and the roads are dead quiet because you can't cross the flooded bits

View attachment 573823

Is that the stretch on the Hundred Foot looking towards Pymoor from the Welney Suspension Bridge?

Brave you, heading out, that wind had a right bite to it. I've stayed indoors all day. :blush:

Johnno260

Veteran
I have been out, it’s cold but I was warm in full winter gear, the roads around Ashdown forest were lethal in places and I had to walk it down a few roads.

The scenery was beautiful but I gave the ice the respect it deserves.

Attachments

• 4FE379BE-F73F-4B2E-8E57-94AFBCEE04C9.jpeg
    4FE379BE-F73F-4B2E-8E57-94AFBCEE04C9.jpeg
    432.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 1B88CC07-89DB-44BD-91F4-8361E4149D1B.jpeg
    1B88CC07-89DB-44BD-91F4-8361E4149D1B.jpeg
    133.7 KB · Views: 2
  • A897B15E-E278-4348-9C35-8446C37677C5.jpeg
    A897B15E-E278-4348-9C35-8446C37677C5.jpeg
    419.3 KB · Views: 2
#metoo I'm in Ely and Welney - Ten Mile Bank is my usual lunch time loop. Bit bumpy, but traffic and stress free and luckily mostly ice free as well

Heh, if you're in Ely, then you probably ride past mine (or just a stone's throw away) on your loop. I'm on the edge of Downham. :blush:

Such a small world! ^_^

P.S. That is a nice ride though, road surface notwithstanding. :smile: I've often seen barn owls hunting the levees when I've been out at dusk.

Heh, if you're in Ely, then you probably ride past mine (or just a stone's throw away) on your loop. I'm on the edge of Downham. :blush:

Such a small world! ^_^

P.S. That is a nice ride though, road surface notwithstanding. :smile: I've often seen barn owls hunting the levees when I've been out at dusk.
Very small - yes I come through there on most rides, incl today :becool:

Yes the owls are pretty cool, saw a white one a few months ago (I'm pretty sure it wasn't a swan or goose although that's as far as my bird spotting knowledge goes)

Very small - yes I come through there on most rides, incl today :becool:

Yes the owls are pretty cool, saw a white one a few months ago (I'm pretty sure it wasn't a swan or goose although that's as far as my bird spotting knowledge goes)

Yup, that'll be a barn owl :smile:

BTW, if you ever see a rather undertall lady tootling around at a sedate pace on a variety of mostly red bikes, that'll be me. :blush:

Yup, that'll be a barn owl :smile:

BTW, if you ever see a rather undertall lady tootling around at a sedate pace on a variety of mostly red bikes, that'll be me. :blush:
Great learnt something new today - that increased my bird knowledge by about 100% ;)

Will keep an eye out! I'm not that distinct I'm afraid, just you average frozen looking roadie, although often a bit naughty and without helmet when it's warmer - mostly on an bright orange single speed for a few more months.

Great learnt something new today - that increased my bird knowledge by about 100% ;)

Will keep an eye out! I'm not that distinct I'm afraid, just you average frozen looking roadie, although often a bit naughty and without helmet when it's warmer - mostly on an bright orange single speed for a few more months.

Righty ho :okay: I'm most likely to be found pedalling a bright red MTB at the moment. With its big, squishy tyres, it's a comfier ride than the roadie, and I'm less likely to disappear down a pothole. :laugh:

I've just posted a thread about a fairly local bit of the NC1 Brampton Valley Way tunnel being closed due to icicles..

View attachment 573840

Here's one of the pics!
On the last cold day of this spell, I've finally seen some icicles. Shame Pete's bloody tunnel photo has trumped everything. Anyway, here's a pic
EDIT: and I saw a barn owl. First one since the floods last year, v pleased!

Attachments

• IMG_20210213_164130110~2.jpg
    IMG_20210213_164130110~2.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Top Bottom