anyone car free???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jimidh

Veteran
We couldn't do without our cars. We live in a semi rural location, got kids, both need to use our cars for work( I commute 2-3 days per week on the bike but can't do it everyday) and ferry children to various locations for football, scouts, dancing etc. Use the car at the weekend to ferry bikes to various MTB locations with my son.

Plus I actually enjoy driving too so even if I could without I would still keep at least one car in the household.

OP
OP
Jamieyorky

Jamieyorky

Veteran
We couldn't do without our cars. We live in a semi rural location, got kids, both need to use our cars for work( I commute 2-3 days per week on the bike but can't do it everyday) and ferry children to various locations for football, scouts, dancing etc. Use the car at the weekend to ferry bikes to various MTB locations with my son.

Plus I actually enjoy driving too so even if I could without I would still keep at least one car in the household.

I do like driving and i am a big car fan, just everyday when your sat in a showroom looking at cars, talking about cars and also selling cars it juat gets a bit much.
Its not as if ill be going totaly car free (although i would if i could) we still have the mrs car. Just dont think i want my own car at all.

screenman

Legendary Member
People seem to think because I am in the motor trade and have owned and run different businesses in it for over 40 years that I must be interested in cars. Boy are they wrong.

simon.r

Person
I have a company car which sits outside my house not moving for 4 or 5 days a week, as I use my bike / the bus / Uber for local trips.

The problem is that the 2 or 3 days I do use the car it's for round trips of 100+ miles and there really is no practical alternative.

arch684

Veteran
I was without a car for 3 years then my daughter got a new car and gave me her 2010 clio with 18000 miles on the clock.If i put the back seats down i can get the bike in just ,so have been cycling in new places every week but i did'nt mind not having a car

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Couldn't imagine my life without a car. They are so practical, convenient, comfortable, fast and cheaper than public transport. Own a car, own a bike (or two or three) , what more can you ask for?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
With 2 young kids and both the wife and I working we thought we would struggle with only one car. We dropped down to one for a while and just about made it work. However, it is certainly significantly easier with two. We are back up to two cars now but we looki forward to the time when we can go back down to one as life becomes less hectic. I often commute by bike, but am restricted on days when I am doing one of drop off and pickup as a car makes it so much more viable with work.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
... the cat goes to the vet in the bike trailer

Oh yes, I do that…

P1030871_zpsxdaza1eg.jpg

adamangler

Veteran
need a van for work and need a car for the kids.

Wouldnt get rid even if i could, yes i would like to save the money but i do like my cars.

Karlt

I've resisted having a second one like mad. Boss at work really really wanted me to have one but I pointed out that I could organise scheduled site visits on the one day a week I do have access to our one car, and if he thinks I'm going to bring a car 15 miles to work for it to sit in a car park on the very unlikely offchance that it's needed he's got another think coming, and I stuck to my guns. Wouldn't want to be without one completely - firstly Mrs Karlt works three days a week and whilst I consider 15 miles cycle commutable she doesn't (besides she starts at 8 and has to take uniforms with her and stuff - the working world really is oriented around driving to work, at least around here). And then there's shopping and ferrying the kids - Scout troops have a habit of telling you they're meeting at a pub car park miles from the nearest bus stop (or at least the nearest one that has a bus service more often than once a week) at 6.15 next Friday. And then there's shopping - the supermarket's only two miles away (so what's the problem you say) but it's also 250' lower. I've done it many times but you do need plenty of time to drag a full load of shopping up that hill (which has 10%+ bits whichever way you go). So possible, but not particularly practical.

Top Bottom