anyone car free???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Agreed. Without cars and trucks we would have far fewer goods and services available - for those without cars or trucks.

I didn't get a car until work justified it. Otherwise a car is a money pit. It's a luxury getting by without a car that many cannot afford due to work.

Driving takes a lot of time and money. The ads try to sell you on the pleasure of driving when most of the time it's a necessary chore.
I've never wanted a car but I'm not sure it can be termed a luxury when many see the car as a status symbol and still more seem to see it as a human right.

2IT

Everything and everyone suffers in comparisons.
I've never wanted a car but I'm not sure it can be termed a luxury when many see the car as a status symbol and still more seem to see it as a human right.

To me, a status symbol is a luxury.

Exactly my point. Having a car is a luxury, I don't see how not having a car can be referred to as a luxury
Depends where you grow up, having a car in Cornwall, or least a mate with a car was a must if you wanted to have any sort of social life. We always thought that living in a city with a 24/7 transport system with pubs, clubs and stuff close by would be a luxury. I can't say we ever thought getting 7 in a mini was the high life.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Depends where you grow up, having a car in Cornwall, or least a mate with a car was a must if you wanted to have any sort of social life. We always thought that living in a city with a 24/7 transport system with pubs, clubs and stuff close by would be a luxury. I can't say we ever thought getting 7 in a mini was the high life.
I can accept that in some areas having a car is a necessity but this post:

Agreed. Without cars and trucks we would have far fewer goods and services available - for those without cars or trucks.

I didn't get a car until work justified it. Otherwise a car is a money pit. It's a luxury getting by without a car that many cannot afford due to work.

Driving takes a lot of time and money. The ads try to sell you on the pleasure of driving when most of the time it's a necessary chore.
Suggests it's a luxury to not have a car

Seevio

Guru
My car has been out of action since Easter and while it hasn't affected my mundane life a lot, I have had to rely on band members to cart my gear around. It has also meant that due to my unfortunate tendency to try and chase down any cyclist I see in the distance, by Friday evening I need a rest and don't really feel up to going out on the weekend.

Luckily I got the thing back today and as it is forecast to lash down in Bristol tomorrow, I shall treat myself to the trade-off of sitting in traffic vs getting soaked with no drying facilities at work.

sanddancer

My parents haven't had a car for as long as I've been alive, I've never had a car, I've never passed my driving test. I can drive, I learned the basics messing around on tractors and in Land Rovers on the local farms when I was a kid but that's as close as I got.

I do have a driveway. It gives me something to get upset about when people park across it.

Did you know that blocking a driveway isn't illegal if no car is parked on it ?
I have two cars. I don't apologise for that. I have three scooters, I get slated by tree huggers for the damage to the environment but I don't drive them all at the same time ;)
I don't park in front of others drives either.
The mrs has a car too. I can ride 8 miles to work yet she has to drive a 5 minute walk to her work .
I couldn't be carless.
I can't pull my caravan with my bikes and I'm not riding 200 miles to visit my family :biggrin:

martint235

Dog on a bike
Did you know that blocking a driveway isn't illegal if no car is parked on it ?
I have two cars. I don't apologise for that. I have three scooters, I get slated by tree huggers for the damage to the environment but I don't drive them all at the same time ;)
I don't park in front of others drives either.
The mrs has a car too. I can ride 8 miles to work yet she has to drive a 5 minute walk to her work .
I couldn't be carless.
I can't pull my caravan with my bikes and I'm not riding 200 miles to visit my family :biggrin:
Ah, it is illegal regardless of vehicles on the driveway or even a dropped kerb, if the car is parked with wheels on the pavement.

Seevio

Guru
Given that the footway is part of the highway and by giving permission for a dropped kerb the local authority has granted a licence for the homeowner to drive across the footway, parking in front of a drive is technically blocking the highway which is illegal.

Suggests it's a luxury to not have a car

Which is a valid perspective for some. Homes within walking, cycling or tube distance of a good job, shops, bars, restaurants, theatre, sports and music venues, where a car is superfluous, are generally well out of my price range and I see that lifestyle choice as luxurious.

In fact the more I think about it, choosing to be car free is a classic example of able bodied white middle class male privilege.

donnydave

Über Member
Which is a valid perspective for some. Homes within walking, cycling or tube distance of a good job, shops, bars, restaurants, theatre, sports and music venues, where a car is superfluous, are generally well out of my price range and I see that lifestyle choice as luxurious.

In fact the more I think about it, choosing to be car free is a classic example of able bodied white middle class male privilege.

Mmmm interesting point to get the old noodle boiling. When I moved to Cambridge I wanted to live in the city and I could have lived without a car, however I couldn't afford anywhere so had to look further afield and ended up so far afield I was in... a field. In the middle of nowhere in a place where you could easily become a slave to the car so I can sort of agree with the above that from some view points being car free is a luxury.

Firestorm

Veteran
Two of my kids dont own cars, both live in cities with decent transport links and can cycle / walk to work . However seeing them is down to us going to them.
The other two require there cars to get everywhere.
As for the OP, to him personally the company car will cost him as he will be taxed on the benefit.
Mind you , would you buy a bike from someone who didnt cycle ?

Top Bottom