Anyone cycle around the Bucks area?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Dwaff Family

Worth a try, but does anyone on here know the Soulbury road journey, the junction opposite the Three Locks Pub? Is just that my 6yr old on his 16" gearless bike managed to get up all those hills from the pub, throughSoulbury and then on to Stewkley and I am keen to know how you would classify the gradients/toughness of them. I must say I am pretty impressed at his efforts, having seen leisure cyclists walking up them!

Madcyclist

It's impressive for a six year old but they're just slight drags rather than climbs. The road up through the Brickhills past the Three Locks golf course is another matter, I struggle up there on my fixed.

OP
OP
The Dwaff Family

The Dwaff Family

I know, but to the mere leisure cyclist they are a drag that last far too long :biggrin:

Don't reckon we will try him on the brickhill route from Three Locks until he's atleast on a bike with gears, but what a star the little dude is for not quitting until it was done. Have to keep remembering how tough it must be when it's only a 16" bike. He is sadly only the height of a 'just 4yr old' so cannot get on a bigger bike. You will one day in the not so distant future spot a little dude going up those hills to school though and when you do, please give him a big hello :biggrin:

That's very impressive indeed for a 6 year old on just 1 gear, as it's quite a steep kick up after the railway/bypass bridge. It's been a while since I've been up it, but just checking on bikehike shows almost 8% gradient.

I hope he had an ice cream afterwards, because he definitely earned it.

OP
OP
The Dwaff Family

The Dwaff Family

Thanks Madcyclist and Flying Dodo. We didn't have ice-cream so instead he had a jubbly. He had cycled to Tiddenfoot Leisure and then all the way back, majorly proud that he then managed that road section from pub to Stewkley when coming off the towpath.

Can climb Pound Hill in(Gt. Brickhill) very quickly, we hope that going up drags/hills will only help his strength and stamina for bike racing when his height is a huge disadvantage. He never, ever wants to quit and give up either :smile:

OP
OP
The Dwaff Family

The Dwaff Family

Cracking effort from your little one, does he have an agent :whistle:

Great area for hill crunching.

Good luck

Haha, thanks Uphillstruggler. I see you are in MK, reminds me of a bit of a beast(for kids atleast) of a hill at Willen Lake by the Peace Pagoda that he goes up, the descent is very scary for a parent to watch though :ohmy: He's noticeably stronger after trying some steep climbs/drags and desperately wants a red polka dot jersey to become 'king of the mountains':whistle:

Madcyclist

Thanks Madcyclist and Flying Dodo. We didn't have ice-cream so instead he had a jubbly. He had cycled to Tiddenfoot Leisure and then all the way back, majorly proud that he then managed that road section from pub to Stewkley when coming off the towpath.

Can climb Pound Hill in(Gt. Brickhill) very quickly, we hope that going up drags/hills will only help his strength and stamina for bike racing when his height is a huge disadvantage. He never, ever wants to quit and give up either :smile:

Don't worry about his height being a disadvantage, cycling's more about power to weigth, aerobic capacity and mental toughness then anything. I'm only a short arse myself and it never stopped me doing well in my racing days.

OP
OP
The Dwaff Family

The Dwaff Family

Kids his age are on 20" which also means gears, he has to work harder to travel as far, but he seem's different to most of them in that he's a pretty smart racer already, has alot more stamina and boy does he want to race and win :whistle: Will not be till he's about 12+ that they eventually all start being on the same sized wheel bike.

I am not doing him any harm letting him cycle as much as he wants am I? I tell you what, his asthma hasn't half improved since he started riding a bike in April!

Haha, thanks Uphillstruggler. I see you are in MK, reminds me of a bit of a beast(for kids atleast) of a hill at Willen Lake by the Peace Pagoda that he goes up, the descent is very scary for a parent to watch though :ohmy: He's noticeably stronger after trying some steep climbs/drags and desperately wants a red polka dot jersey to become 'king of the mountains':whistle:

close your eyes :biggrin:

we live in the north end of MK so get out and about along the rivers and redways with the kids. its great pootling along enjoying their company. we even cycle to a few of the pubs for desert sometimes :hungry: great excuse for the reward!

OP
OP
The Dwaff Family

The Dwaff Family

It's impressive for a six year old but they're just slight drags rather than climbs. The road up through the Brickhills past the Three Locks golf course is another matter, I struggle up there on my fixed.

Well, how this little man keep's surprising us!! He so wanted to do a 'challenge ride' and although only 2 miles he wanted to do the climb from Three Locks and up to the school at the top of Pound Hill in Gt. Brickhill and you know what? He bloody well did it and all on his 16" single speed bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He found it very tough indeed, dad kept asking if he wanted to stop but he replied "I am not quitting, i'm a true cyclist"

There was an older chap who passed by and said how well he was doing getting up it, so hello to that cyclist, if he's on here :hello:

Cycled appx 12 miles today, all the way from Stewkley and into MK and still had the energy for 1 1/2hrs of bike training!!

Brandane

Legendary Member
does anyone on here know the Soulbury road journey, the junction opposite the Three Locks Pub? Is just that my 6yr old on his 16" gearless bike managed to get up all those hills from the pub,

Very impressive riding from a 6 year old; well done. :thumbsup:

Especially if he'd downed a few pints while he was there! ;)

OP
OP
The Dwaff Family

The Dwaff Family

Haha!! Doubt he'll ever be a drinker, has heart problem's sadly and anyway, he's far too keen on his cycling and want's to become a pro ;)

If you read my post above you'll notice that he has now conquered the climb up from the pub and into Gt Brickhill and finishing at the top of Pound Hill opposite the school :biggrin:

Top Bottom