Anyone cycled Barra- South Uist - North Uist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pjgraham86

Über Member
Hi - hope this is the right forum for this question.

Along with 3 pals I am cycling from Barra up to North Uist in the middle weekend in June.

I would like to do it on my carbon framed road bike (Raleigh Carbon Comp) but I'm not sure of the standard of the roads. The alternative, much less attractive, for obvious reasons, is to use my old hybrid.

Has anyone made this trip and got any views on the surfaces we are likely to encounter and the advisability of using road bikes ?

Cheers

P

rualexander

Legendary Member
The roads on the islands are no worse than anywhere else, sometimes better, no problem for your carbon bike.

Alves

Blimey, PJ, it maybe the Outer Hebrides but they do have tarmaced roads up there.
Mind you some of the Islands still close on Sundays and come to think of it, there is a kind of time warp when you step off the ferry but mainly in a good way and not as far back as the 19th century:biggrin:

OP
OP
P

pjgraham86

Über Member
LOL thanks Alves !

It was actually my mate who owns a house on Barra (60 seconds from the ferry terminal) who was questioning the road bike idea ! I had just assumed the roads would be fine - it wouldn't be hard for them to be better than most of Glasgow's roads at the moment.

Looking forward to it immensely.

P

Top Bottom