Anyone cycled Mont Ventoux

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

suzeworld

Veteran
Done it many times .. Mainly from Sault, and also from Bedoin, the last 6km are the same on those two from Chalet Raynard. The classic lunar landscape section.

My mad wife did all three ascents in one day last year. Not for me! She says there is more variety of inclines on the Malaucene side. Some of the stretches on Malaucene side are steepest of all. But you get more stunning views out on that side Quite long stretches of the Sault and Bedoin sides are forested. Which is welcome shade if it is hot in June. But it can suddenly turn to rain/ mist at any time of the year!!

If you have descended into Sault you really must go down the Gorge de la Nesque, which is just so beautiful and hardly any cars use it.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Is Mont Ventoux very windy all the year? I've booked a cycling tour in September which includes Mont Ventoux, and I'd be very disappointed if I travelled all that way (such a long way to travel to ride up some mountains!) only to have to skip the ride due to high winds.

suzeworld

Veteran
Is Mont Ventoux very windy all the year? I've booked a cycling tour in September which includes Mont Ventoux, and I'd be very disappointed if I travelled all that way (such a long way to travel to ride up some mountains!) only to have to skip the ride due to high winds.

It could be, but it might not be. We have not been troubled by wind much in August, except the first time we went, to watch a Tour stage, and they were advising spectators not to go beyond the tree line, the winds were so fierce. But it can be very still on other days.

suzeworld

Veteran
image.jpg
Making me yearn for the Summer
This is a pal and me cycling in the shadow of Ventoux. The way it dominates the landscape is part of its allure. I love this region, so many varied rides around here. Usually endless blue sky and sun in August, tho it can turn cold n wet at the top, any day!

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
When I went up the Malaucene side, the strong wind only became a problem on the very last turn at the top (and even then it didn't knock us off), so even if it were windy by choosing your ascent you might still be able to enjoy the ascent. The descent was a little, er, fun, even on the sheltered side, but my riding partner still managed to get up to 54mph, while I wussed out at 44mph.

Haha, not to worry you, but the strongest wind recorded there was 313km/h! http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Ventoux#Vents

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Although I must admit I'm a bit puzzled by all the fuss: it seems to be the only mountain that people on this forum talk about.

Am I being unfair?
It's more that it seems to be the only mountain people ask about. Perhaps Provence is a more obvious holiday destination?

Polite

Über Member
image.jpg

I did it last year. As you've probably heard, it's a brutal last 12km with the weather at the top completely different to what you leave down below (20 degrees they say). One of my biggest physical achievements, I did it from Sault not Bedoin so I'm sure the purists would have something to say however my reply would be; "I've cycled up Mont Ventoux, thank you".

Last edited:

suzeworld

Veteran
It's more that it seems to be the only mountain people ask about. Perhaps Provence is a more obvious holiday destination?
It is a lovely area with an incredible range of other rides, esp if one of you is not really up for massive mountain climbs every day, there are plenty of long days out through pretty, undulating scenery to explore.

It is not about Simpson, much more about seeing it in the tour, for me.
I am gradually adding other tour toppers, the Alps "proper" really are much more amazing if you can hack it, but I can't manage the distances and climbs at the same time! I managed The col d'izoard as my new one this year. Magical!

All three sides here as well, both loaded touring and on a lighter bike. Tried the cingles but weather turned me back on the third ascent from Malaucene, the hardest of the three imo. Just be wary of the wind and debris on the road above the Chalet if it was windy the days before.

This was the day after I was turned back on the cingles, the rain had gone but the decent was a get of and push much of the way from the summit to the Chalet due to high winds. Not only was I being blown off the road the wind was picking up the landscape and throwing at me :O

tripping146_zps9197906b.jpg

Jimidh

Veteran
Our CC are doing Ventoux in September which is great motivation for getting the climbing legs going through the Spring and Summer.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
If you're around the area for a while you could do a lot worse than pop up to Drôme Provençale, the Drôme area itself, or the Vercors plateau, all within two hours' drive. Tons of photos and dozens of routes on the link in my signature. Incredibly beautiful, and as much variation in terrain as you like. Even better than the Alps proper, I reckon.

Top Bottom