Anyone cycled Mont Ventoux

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Right, you lucky lot who are riding later in the year - @joanna, @Norry1, @victor, @Jimidh and especially @andym - I have dug out a book from my favourite cyclist philosopher (or should that be philosopher cyclist?), Paul Fournel. Ponder these lines quoted from the short article entitled 'Ventoux':

The Ventoux is alone. It has command over no valley, it leads nowhere. Its only purpose is to be climbed.
For the cyclist it is a riddle.
You never climb the same Ventoux twice. Every cyclist has a memory of a glorious ascent.
In the same way, everyone can remember those leaden days when, for no reason, the bike freezes, locked on the tarmac....a voiceless anguish enters.
During these nightmare ascents, there are no longer any landmarks. Your eyes are glued to your front wheel, and its your guts that you're looking at there, without really seeing them.
The Ventoux has no it-self. Its the greatest revelation of yourself. It simply returns your return fatigue and fear. It has total knowledge of the shape you're in, your capacity for cycling happiness, and for happiness in general. It's yourself you're climbing. If you don't want to know, stay at the bottom.

Enjoy the ride. I hope to return later this year too!

Norry1

Legendary Member
Deep man :smile:

Eurostar

Guru
I've done it twice, once on a laden touring bike, once on a racer. Once in the heat, once in a cold cloud. I'm not sure I would bother with it again, partly because it doesn't go anywhere and party because it's too crowded now, with competitive 'look at me' types. I'd much rather have a high pass to myself.

Claudia

I'm going this Wednesday... weather looks mint - or a bit too hot for my liking!

I am no climber so it will be a massive challenge, although the experience I have from riding in France is like someone mentioned before, it isn't Buttertubs-Pass-steep but they can be looooong drags. I keep my head down and just ride along, then I think "oh, there's a flat bit", nope! Just a turn and then more uphill. That's when I hop off the bike and walk... Trying not to do that this time tho!

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I'm going this Wednesday... weather looks mint - or a bit too hot for my liking!

I am no climber so it will be a massive challenge, although the experience I have from riding in France is like someone mentioned before, it isn't Buttertubs-Pass-steep but they can be looooong drags. I keep my head down and just ride along, then I think "oh, there's a flat bit", nope! Just a turn and then more uphill. That's when I hop off the bike and walk... Trying not to do that this time tho!
Yes it's like other French climbs, not stupidly steep, it just goes on and on and on. It was hot when we went too - Lovely :sun:
Don't keep your head down, you miss the scenery^_^

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Good point! I'll try to keep it up and not get beaten by the sight of the long drags... :smile:
For me coming out of the tree line onto the rocky bit I thought "ooh, goody nearly there", It's not, but at least you get to see for miles around (on a clear day). It is a spectacular place to ride.

Claudia

For me coming out of the tree line onto the rocky bit I thought "ooh, goody nearly there", It's not, but at least you get to see for miles around (on a clear day). It is a spectacular place to ride.

I was just checking the weather now, it's meant to be sunny and between 28 and 30 degrees for the whole of my stay... can't go wrong ;)

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I was just checking the weather now, it's meant to be sunny and between 28 and 30 degrees for the whole of my stay... can't go wrong ;)
The Met Office actually give useful forecasts for Avignon. http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/world/spg6j2er0. Météo France are not renowned for their accuracy, and are having their budgets cut further, I think. I've yet to find a French forecast that I trust for more than a few hours at most.

EDIT - very lively northerly wind coming down the Rhône this week. You'll find it more than a little breezy at the top, I suspect. Though possibly short of the record for MV, which stands at 200mph.

Claudia

The Met Office actually give useful forecasts for Avignon. http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/world/spg6j2er0. Météo France are not renowned for their accuracy, and are having their budgets cut further, I think. I've yet to find a French forecast that I trust for more than a few hours at most.

EDIT - very lively northerly wind coming down the Rhône this week. You'll find it more than a little breezy at the top, I suspect. Though possibly short of the record for MV, which stands at 200mph.

mm, that doesn't sound so good...

T4tomo

Legendary Member
If it is windy, worth asking in local bike shops etc what side they recommend to climb from. Maucelene or Bedoin as weather can be very different on each side. Enjoy, it does go on. And on and on but as long as you don't go mad on the pace and settle into a rythym you'll be Ok. Just keep counting down the km posts to the top, taking it one post at a time.

albal

Guru
Rode it from bedoin oh about a month ago. Very hot day mid 30,sC. The middle bit in the forest was the toughest as no wind to cool you down amd the flies were a pain.
Fabulous views at the summit.
Then off to Tarifa after my rest day !

Enjoy it.

Top Bottom