Anyone dismantled a Canon printer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Just got the dreaded 'Waste Tank Full' message, which a little googling reveals as an indication that the waste ink collecting pad is now saturated and needs washing out. And that this is quite a major exercise. I plan to have a go, since I've nothing to lose...just wondered if anyone had any direct experience and consequent tips?

papercorn2000

Let me know how you get on. I've a little plastic bit that I'm not sure where it goes...

Desert Orchid

on one of my computer maintenance courses, we were split into groups and given various printers to strip and reassemble.
at the end we were asked the question
" what would you do if a customer asked you to fix a printer ? "
the whole group answered the same,
" tell them to buy a new one ! "
trust me on this, throw it in the bin :cry:

yenrod

The WaterTank BTW is a sponge - well it was/turned out to be on the Canon i had..pity really as it was a cracking printer !

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Yeah - it's a felt pad on this one apparently. And I know what you're all saying, but this thing is a big professional A3+ printer, and a replacement, even second hand, would be £500 give or take...so I'm quite keen to give it a shot before I junk it.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks chaps. I'll report back after I've completely buggered it up. ;)

classic33

Leg End Member
Just come across this, but out of interest what printer is it.

In washing the pad you will be looking at washing/soaking it three or four times in clean water. Bin liner came in handy here preventing the water & ink mix staining what it had been placed in. First was done with warm water & a few drops of washing up liquid, the rest with cold water. The felt pad being suspended in the water rather than simply left into the container.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Hiya

It's a w2200 - a big, A3+ graphics printer, generally used by graphic designers and the like. And I can't even find the reset codes online, much less disassembly instructions. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears....

classic33

Leg End Member
This may work, I can't promise it will. But worth a try with regards to waste error.
Waste Error Reset
Unplug Power Cord
Hold POWER and RESUME buttons
Plug in Power Cord
Release buttons
Open front door of printer
Hold the CARTRIDGE and RESUME buttons
Press POWER
Release all buttons after the beeps
Press CARTRIDGE once
Press RESUME

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks classic33 - I'm grateful for the suggestion. Unfortunately this is a very non-standard beastie and it doesn't have CARTRIDGE or RESUME buttons (or a front door, come to that!) It's so damn frustrating...I know the thing would be good for several hundred more prints if I could just reset it's tiny brain, but without the magic key-combo, it's just so much junk. Very environmentally unsound to just skip it, but things are heading that way. Grrrr.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks classic33 - the first one looked particularly pronmising, but I can't actually make out what the text means! Also, I can't find this 'Generaltool.exe' - it's not on the CD that came with the printer. I suspect that once again I'm going to be sfated for having such a non-standard printer. But thanks again. I shall carry on, googling on Generaltool.exe. Hey, at least I have a lead now!

Top Bottom